Something floating

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Lowanna
Egg
Egg

Something floating

Post by Lowanna »

I have two Hawaii shrimp that I have had for 7 years (started out with 4) but I think they laid eggs and
one of them died. About 50 or more White little pieces at the top of the waterline, some also at the center under the glass lid.

Are these too big to come from the little shrimp? The other one doesn't look that great and I don’t want to lose it too, but hate to disturbe the eggs?
Shrimp eggs?  Or what?
Shrimp eggs? Or what?
Are these really eggs, will they hatch, it's been about a week or so since I noticed them. They never had a
moss ball in there before, is that causing a problem?

Lowanna Haaheim
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Something floating

Post by SuperProofer »

I don't think those are eggs if there are about 50 of them. These shrimps can't carry that many. If one died and the other doesn't look good, I'm guessing something got into the tank and is contaminating the water. Any idea what could have gotten in there? Cleaning chemicals, bug spray, hair products? I would probably remove it if it just appeared and you know you didn't put it in there.
Lowanna
Egg
Egg

Post by Lowanna »

I know nothing got in because there is a glass lid sitting on the container.
But because of your comment, I was brave enough and raised the lid to get a piece of the floating items and it appears to be the white sand floating, how can that be?
I am in the process of making another container for some new shrimp I ordered and will put my one good one in with them when it is ready. I like the white sand as I can see the shrimp so easy with it and they can't hide as easy except near the green moss ball. I got the sand at the pet store and rinsed it really well before using. Isn't this strange, floating sand?
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Floating sand is pretty normal. I don't know all the science behind it, but pretty sure it has something to do with the gas exchange and air bubble forming under the surface, etc. But, that said, wondering if something caused your nitrogen cycle to kick into high gear and maybe you have an ammonia spike or something like that. That could be what is killing the shrimp.
Lowanna
Egg
Egg

Post by Lowanna »

Thank you for your help.

I did remove the shrimp that didn't make it. Should I crush some egg shells & put in the water so the water will be healthier and not forming ammonia, if that is the problem? I also ordered a refractometer just to make sure the salinity of the water is good.

I notice that someone said (in a different forum) that the sand should be only 1-1.5 inches deep but my shrimp are in a tall cylindrical vase and I do have about 3 inches of sand in the bottom.