Acrylic or Plastic Tanks: Long-term use?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Acrylic or Plastic Tanks: Long-term use?

Post by SuperProofer »

Has anyone had any experience using acrylic or plastic tanks long term? I'm concerned the brackish water might cause etching/cloudiness over time. Looking for a nice 1.5 to 2 gal tank I can use on my nightstand next to my bed and the smaller ones tend to be acrylic or plastic.

Thanks!
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Acrylic or Plastic Tanks: Long-term use?

Post by Varanus »

I have my supershrimp in a plastic 6.5 gallon tank, its been going for about two and half years now without any such issues as far as I can tell. There are tiny, hard things that form on the sides of the tank over time but they don't seem to do any harm to the plastic (and as far as I know are unrelated to the plastic) and are scraped off easily enough.
jcfrank922
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jcfrank922 »

I would be more concerned about leaking. I had a beta fish acrylic 2 gallon tank and over time the silicone sealant sprung a leak. Not good! I have my shrimp in a 1.5 gallon glass container. It's solid glass, so it should never leak.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Acrylic or plastic work just fine. They just scratch more easily than glass. But if you're really careful, I don't see a problem.