Meeting Poseidon

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Meeting Poseidon

Post by SuperProofer »

Last night, while doing my regular pre-bedtime checkup on my shrimp, I noticed that one of them had molted in the large jar! I can’t say for certain which one it was or when, but I know it happened because I saw the aftermath – one of the biggest shrimp was carrying around what was left of the husk. He was clutching onto it like a dog with a bone – I imagine he may have even growled a little. When other shrimp would come near, he would quickly swim away with his spoils. He was greedy and would not share…

When my shrimp first arrived, I decided to place a good mix of sizes – small, medium and large – in each jar to try to help balance things out. I put 5 shrimp in the small jar and 9 in the large (knowing that in a couple of weeks I would be adding Trooper to make 10). It was pretty easy to keep count of how many I was adding since I had to scoop them one at a time; so I know I didn’t get it wrong. The sizes were pretty evenly represented with no one shrimp standing out above the rest.

I would check on them regularly to make sure everyone was ok. I would watch them for a long time; noticing how some were pale, a few were light orange, and one in particular was a beautiful bright red. I watched how they swam; how they glide effortlessly through the spaces between the decor, doing flips and barrel rolls like they were performing in an elegant aquatic ballet. I felt I had really gotten to know them and had a good handle on who was who.

After the first few days, I began to have a hard time counting 9 shrimp in the large jar. I thought “Maybe they’re just moving around too quickly for me to count” or “Some of them were pretty micro-tiny, maybe one is just hiding”. Maybe one went into some sort of Shrimp Witness Protection Program. Worst case scenario, one of them had died; but I never saw a body or the other shrimp carrying around anything that resembled shrimp bits. But whatever the reason, I could only consistently find 8 shrimp in the jar.

Just after Christmas, I moved Trooper into his new home with his new friends. Although it appeared that they all came out to greet him, I could only count 9 in the jar. It seemed that the 10th shrimp had just… evaporated.

Fast forward to last night, the husk, and the covetous shrimp. Word must have gotten out about the floating delicacy.

As the Grinch shrimp was sitting on the lava rock, hovering over his treasure like Golem with the One Ring, I noticed some movement from the back of the jar. A pair of antennae began to peek out from behind the sea fan. Then, very slowly, like something out of a movie, the largest shrimp I’ve ever seen crested up over the top of the rock and landed almost on top of the Grinch. He was easily 50% larger than any of the other shrimp in the jar. He towered over the miser like a basketball player over a horse jockey.

I don’t recall seeing such a behemoth when I received them only 3 short weeks ago. I think I would have noticed. But yet, there he was. Larger than life. So large I could almost make out the detail of his pincers.

And he wanted the husk.

I can only imagine what words were exchanged between the two, but it was a short conversation as the goliath proceeded to walk away with a portion of the tasty treat. A tribute offered to their god.

He is the 10th shrimp. I named him “Poseidon” as he is the king of the shrimp… and an enigma.

This morning, when I checked on them before leaving for work, Poseidon was nowhere to be seen. Once again, I can only count 9 shrimp. The jar is small, he is large and there are no real hiding places to speak of. I have no idea where he could be going. But I now know he’s there, patiently waiting for the next occasion that merits his illustrious presence.
Noraelle
Larva
Larva

Re: Meeting Poseidon

Post by Noraelle »

Thanks for sharing! It was an entertaining read! I am happy that you didn't lose a shrimp as you had feared. I also have one that's larger, redder, and in many ways "meaner" than my other shrimps. I get frustrated at her because she always hogged the shrimp food when I used to feed them.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Meeting Poseidon

Post by SuperProofer »

Lol. I guess even shrimp have a hierarchy.