First Molt

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

JoeG
Shrimp
Shrimp

First Molt

Post by JoeG »

Well today is the first day that I saw a molt in my tank. I've had the shrimp for a little over a month and this is a first. I'm pretty sure they must have molted previous to this because they are getting bigger, I can actually watch them without stopping to get the magnifying glass now! I have been feeding them one very tiny shrimp pellet each week since there is not much algae in the tank. They eat the shrimp pellet within an hour or two. Today I did something different, I removed some brown algae from the front glass and that did make some suspension in the water. The shrimp were swimming all over the tank for an hour or two after the scrubbing and then they went back to their normal walking around and zooming through the water occasionally. I did notice that some of them were carrying around some of the suspended debris. I wonder if this had anything to do with the molt?

The tank was set up November 13, 2017 and the shrimp were added December 1, 2017, after some brown algae was seen on the aragonite. They are doing great and I've been enjoying their progress. The tank is getting more brown algae and there are tiny air bubbles starting to form on the glass and the lava rocks. There are a couple small dots of green algae starting to grow on the back glass. Everything seems to be going on schedule.

Here is a picture of the molt:
Attachments
FirstMoultJan7_18.jpg
JoeG
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: First Molt

Post by JoeG »

Well, by time I finished proofreading my post I turned to look at the molt and there is a shrimp already eating it! No wonder you don't see molts very often.
Attachments
EatingMolt.JPG
JoeG
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: First Molt - questions

Post by JoeG »

Now I have a question or two. Is there an increase in tank activity by all shrimp when there is a molt? I was looking at the tank and there is a lot more zooming around the tank than normal. And I don't think it is just males, because pretty much all the shrimp are moving about. Is there some kind of 'excitement' thing that happens when one of the shrimp molts? By the way, the molt is almost all gone already and it's only been about 20 minutes since I noticed it.
supashrimpo
Egg
Egg

Post by supashrimpo »

In a thread, I was recently reading about there is something called the "mating ritual dance" as the user called it. To what I know, this could be the increase in the shrimp's activity? (ahah, I could be totally wrong!) It happens after a female molts. The thread is called "Simply try out another tank" by Mrs T if you wanted to know :D

hope this helps!
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

I’ve read articles (Fuku Bonzai) and watched an YouTube video about the supposed pre-mating activity, but I have never seen it in my tank. Granted I’m not watching my shrimp all day so it could be true. I find my shrimp’s behavior more random than intentional.
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

supashrimpo wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:28 pm In a thread, I was recently reading about there is something called the "mating ritual dance" as the user called it. To what I know, this could be the increase in the shrimp's activity? (ahah, I could be totally wrong!) It happens after a female molts. The thread is called "Simply try out another tank" by Mrs T if you wanted to know :D

hope this helps!
:oops: @supashrimpo you mentioned me haha.

Yes @JoeG you will find male shrimps went frantically crazy searching for something. That happens if a matured female molted and releases hormones to attract the males. You can tell which female actually molted, she will fans her swimmerets and stretching out several times. Looks as if her belly were swollen. She will find places to hide because all males will go after her.

I observed my tank , usually not only the males come out other females will also come out not because of mating but they feels annoyed with the activities.
JoeG
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoeG »

Thanks for the replies. The zooming/dancing lasted a few hours and then they seemed to settle down. The next night they were at it again, there may have been another molt but I didn't see it. It's nice to see them active every now and then. Like I said they are definitely growing, so molts must be happening! :P
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

JoeG wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:47 pm I did notice that some of them were carrying around some of the suspended debris. I wonder if this had anything to do with the molt?
This has nothing to do with the molt. They are just eating the algae/biofilm you cleaned off the glass/tank wall. Yes, they do like to hold larger pieces and swim around with them to eat them over time (and protect them from other shrimp).
The tank is getting more brown algae and there are tiny air bubbles starting to form on the glass and the lava rocks. There are a couple small dots of green algae starting to grow on the back glass.
If you're seeing bubbles you are most likely overfeeding for now. Cut down your feeding to once every 2-3 weeks or longer. In the long run your tank is going to benefit from that.