I have coarse sand on bottom but don't see babies ever

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

The Beach
Egg
Egg

I have coarse sand on bottom but don't see babies ever

Post by The Beach »

I have had a berried female almost every few months but never see any small anything. When I got my snails it brought some type of algae that covers the bottom if my tank now. Do you think the little ones are in there? I only see about 11-12 shrimp at a time. I had 21. If the babies survived shouldn't I see more out? There aren't lots if places for hiding.
Attachments
Substrate
Substrate
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: I have coarse sand on bottom but don't see babies ever

Post by i<3Opae »

Newly hatched larvae would float vertically since they don’t have swimlets to swim freely. So I doubt any shrimp babies would be in the algae just yet. If you have a tank light, try look close to the light source and see if there are any babies. Can you describe your berried shrimp or post a pic? I’m not saying that’s it but I’ve seen people mistaken the undeveloped eggs as opposed to the “berries”, which should be external under the belly. It’s just very curious that you would have that many berries females but no larvae... Also keep in mind it takes about a month for larvae to hatch.
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

Very good suggestion from i<30pae.
TheBeach I'm thinking they are hiding inside.
That is if you are not mistakenly the berried really happened.
Switch off all the light. Switch on a touch-light , place it at the opposite end of your tank, while you view through, concerntrate on any tiny moving things on all surfaces. If they are around, you can definitely spot them, especially on the tank wall.
The Beach
Egg
Egg

Post by The Beach »

Here are pictures. My shrimp have been swimming around crazily for the past 2 days. I found 2 berried shrimp. Unfortunately, one had died last night. I put her into a dish for a better picture. Many of her eggs fell off. Round red things. I got a picture of one alive one too. My water has become cloudy. I thought it was just algae on the side but it wasn't. What should I do?
Attachments
IMG_20180114_074816255_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180114_075829543.jpg
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

:cry: oh no. Sorry about the dead shrimp.
They swim like panicking kinda swim? Maybe something is wrong with the water. You may need to reset your tank or change 50% - 80% of water depending on the cloudiness.
This is my first time looking at this type of algae on your tank floor.
About the dead shrimp's egg, i wonder if any members here has any success in artificial hatching opae eggs or not.
I hope other members will chime in for suggestion.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

How often do you feed the shrimp and how much? Your tank looks like it may have excess nutrients from too much feeding, and the babies are more sensitive to this than the adults, explaining why you haven't seen larvae as they likely die quickly or fail to hatch at all. I wouldn't feed the tank at all for the foreseeable future, and you may indeed want to do a partial water change.
The Beach
Egg
Egg

Post by The Beach »

My tank is over a year old and I never fed them. I have ample algae. I had sheets of it! When I had gotten some Florida brackish snail, name reminds me of Virginia. It brought the strange algae. It seemed edible because it disappeared from the rocks and the shrimp ate off the snails. The snails ate the sheets of algae. I finally saw my rocks again. When the shrimp are hungry the bottom of my tank gets a clean black spot
I SAW A BABY TODAY! VERY TINY!
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

Ohh you saw a survivor today? Yay! :smt023
There must be some more hiding in there :mrgreen: