Question about brown algae and seeding with green algae

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

JoeG
Shrimp
Shrimp

Question about brown algae and seeding with green algae

Post by JoeG »

I have lots of brown algae growing on the aragonite substrate and probably the lava stones, but just can't see it on the lava stones. Does the brown turn to green algae eventually or is it replaced with green algae? Or is brown algae always brown algae? I tried a little experiment this morning trying to 'seed' the brown with some green algae on aragonite stones from another source but within minutes the shrimp were all over the 'seed' algae and ate the stones clean within the hour. They graze on the brown but never clean the stones like they did with the green. Is there a way to get green algae going in their tank? Any suggestions? The light is on pretty much 13-14 hours per day, there is plenty of ambient light during the day, and the shrimp are being fed 1 tiny shrimp pellet per week. The tank is two months old and the shrimp have been in it a little over a month.

Forgot to mention, there are a couple of tiny spots of green algae on the back glass of the tank. They have been there for several weeks and do not seem to be getting any bigger.

Also, over the past couple of weeks there are a lot more air bubbles forming on the sides of the tank and on the lava stones. Do both types of algae do this is or is it a 'green' or 'brown' thing mostly?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Question about brown algae and seeding with green algae

Post by Mustafa »

As I've said in your other thread the bubbles mean that you're most likely overfeeding. Cut down to once every 2-3 weeks or longer, or just stop feeding altogether for now. Brown algae don't turn into green algae either...they are different things. You'll get more green algae at some point. If you want to make sure you get green algae just add some brackish water snails...they love eating diatoms/brown algae.