Limit lighting to control algae?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Noraelle
Larva
Larva

Limit lighting to control algae?

Post by Noraelle »

I have some rescue ecosystem shrimps in a .4 gallon jar. Because I only have so few shrimps, I notice more algae growth than they can eat. Is there any problems associated with limiting duration of the LED lighting to 6-8 hours a day? Could that affect their circadian rhythm or their health negatively?
They are in a room that has a small skylight window (low indirect light) so it's not completely dark even if I don't turn on the LED. Appreciate your help!
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Limit lighting to control algae?

Post by i<3Opae »

Just my experience...they generally don’t pay attention to lighting. YES the berried shrimp prefer shadows because in their natural environment that’s where predators are the fewest, and YES the larvae are attracted to light because food tend to be more abundant close to the surface. I have observed mine at night and during the day, and haven’t noticed any behavioral difference. The overgrown algae won’t cause any imminent problems for the shrimp in there. But limiting lighting is also fine in my opinion.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I wouldn't limit the lighting. Food is the only thing to limit or to stop giving for algae control. Other than that I'd just clean the front "glass" (if it's even glass) and enjoy the shrimp. The algae won't harm them.
crittersni
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crittersni »

There are magnetic cleaners in pet stores. They have 2 pieces. One in the tank and one holding it from the outside. They're not fantastic, but they do work fairly well and fairly easily. Attach it at the top. Bring it to where you need it, then bring it back to the top to remove it for the next time if needed.