Newby here! Weird question??

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Posmlady
Egg
Egg

Newby here! Weird question??

Post by Posmlady »

I'm trying to start breeding red cherry shrimp. Hoping to make some money?
Anyway have my first berried female ( I think ) and I saw a male go up to her make her lift her tail and then climb under her and hang there for a while?

What was he doing? I've watched breeding videos on YouTube, but it didn't look like that?

Thanks
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Newby here! Weird question??

Post by Mustafa »

That sounds like mating. As for making money...good luck! :-D Breeding shrimp in really large numbers is not as easy as people would want to make you believe. Plus, they are one of the most common shrimp varieties out there.
Posmlady
Egg
Egg

Post by Posmlady »

I guess the videos I watched weren't actual breeding ones? It makes since that's what he was doing. I had watched videos before I saw it so I was confused , these guys are kinda build odd for reproduction. So I figured I wouldn't make much money with the Reds , but all the research shows it's the best kind to start with? So you can figure out how to do it with the cheap ones.

I had bought 10 and put in my guppy fry tank, they were gone in a day, ( or hiding very well) then I checked my water parameters and found my nitrates were at 80! Poor guys! I still haven't been able to get nitrates lower than 40, but the new ones I got were hardier and are breeding. However I have 3 new tanks I'm cycling to be able to move them to, and to try my luck with crystal reds.

Any advice on how to sell and which to breed would be awesome! I'm hoping to at least make $300 a month to pay for my healthcare.

Thanks for reading
Posmlady
Egg
Egg

Post by Posmlady »

I'm trying to do this right this time. I have all the meters and I'm trying to figure out best parameters , how to fix if off . Is there a good place to get all the proper parameters for different shrimp ?

Temp
PH
Nitrite
Nitrate
TDS
KH/GH
Ammonia obviously 0

Thanks
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I can't give you any advice on selling as this forum is for discussion of the shrimp themselves. As for the water parameters...why don't you post your tap water (straight from the tap) and tank water parameters and we'll go from there.