something is up with a RCS

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Annako
Larva
Larva

something is up with a RCS

Post by Annako »

Ok so lately in my little cherry colony there is a little guy who sticks out. More than likey a male or a very young female. The said shrimp has its candy cane striping of the males on the shell, but the flesh inside the body seems to be white rather than clearish. Anyone encountered this, know what is up, of if i just have a out of place shrimp in my red family.

Pics are not great, the little guy is shy.

That is what I have so far, it is something you have to see in person I guess, but you can kind of tell from the picture.

Thanks for help![/list]
Last edited by Annako on Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Unfortunately your shrimp is dying. Shrimp get milky-white like that when they are stressed and/or sick.
Annako
Larva
Larva

Post by Annako »

the said shrimp has been this colour for two months, which is how long I have had him and is the only one and very tiny. Wouldnt the shell pale-up too?

I am mostly used to dead/dieng palaeomonetes
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

They can be like that for a long time....trust me, it's not doing well. Terminal cancer and aids patients survive for a long time, too, but they are definitely not doing well.
Annako
Larva
Larva

Post by Annako »

my first thought was that it caught some weird illness. well at least I know it is death and nothing weird. I have seen some crazy looking death shrimp of the palaeomonetese variety, from crazy worms living in them to parts of their shells turning pink (not mine at the store). Never seen a dead/dying cherry before. maybe in the newb section there should be pics of "this is what your shrimp looks like if it is going to die"

should i toss him to the axolotls or toilet god or let him die in the shrimp farm on his own time?

also, when the shrimps have death colours can they be brought back from that beacause, like I said, this shrimp was the only one of my colonies like is and he came that way when I got him, or is death colours a death sentance-meaning once they look like the dead, no bringing them back?
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi Annako,

I think this tread and it post is good enough for someone who is searching for threads about "dying or shrimp death" :wink:

I would let him live the rest of his life in the shrimp farm.

I have not seen a sick shrimp recover in my time keeping shrimp. But let me know if there is something that can help SHRIMP RECOVER :!:
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

I'd flush the unhealthy shrimp, rather than take a chance on the others eating the corpse and picking up whatever is wrong with the unhealthy shrimp.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Nah...don't flush it. From what I can tell this is not something contageous. Shrimp that look like this are either currently exposed or have been exposed to adverse water parameters for an extended period of time. It's really not a diesease.
Annako
Larva
Larva

Post by Annako »

thanks guy! I am just glad i know what a sick of dieng shrimp looks like now, even though it is one of mine. so sad.

anyways, does the exoskeleton change in any ways also before the death and during the sick? I noticed before when palaemonetese go to shrimp heaven their exoskeleton form white spots and then their whole exoskeleton seems to turn white and the tail begins to split.

Like i said for my cherry it is only the flesh in the tail that is mostly white and the exoskeleton is still transparent with red stripe and there are some areas in the head and the shrimp tail, mostly by the swimmers that are still transparent.

I am one for details, sorry, but I observe and take details and need to put every detail down to describe an instance.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I am one for details, sorry, but I observe and take details and need to put every detail down to describe an instance.
And we will all benefit from these details! Thanks for sharing you findings with your fellow hobbyist.