Opae Ula / Halocaridina rubra / Hawaiian Reds (Amazing Pics

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

aberfitch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Opae Ula / Halocaridina rubra / Hawaiian Reds (Amazing Pics

Post by aberfitch »

here are some pics I thought some of us shrimp lovers would really enjoy seeing some of these shrimp in there natural home. some amazing pictures!!

ImageImage
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Re: Opae Ula / Halocaridina rubra / Hawaiian Reds (Amazing Pics

Post by Newjohn »

Did you collect these yourself ?

The 7th picture sure looks like alot of shrimp.
Did they all come from this pool ?
aberfitch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by aberfitch »

no these are university pictures and that was an example of only one pool. the large collection was a accumilation their breeding program.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

That is an awesone amount of shrimp :-D ! Thanks for sharing the pictures.
thief
Larva
Larva

Post by thief »

WOW. That is alot. Isn't that maybe way too much? Anyways great photos.
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

Wowee, those pics sure are amazing! They're such beautiful shrimp. I especially love the last pic of the closeup female?

I can't WAIT until I get the cash to start my own opae ula breeding colony. I even have the tank, though I've put off cycling it for saltwater because I don't know when I can afford the shrimp themselves.

Sigh, to be a poor graduate student... :P
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I have had a tank ready for some for almost 2 years. Maybe some day, dreams do come true sometimes :roll:
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

Neonshrimp wrote:I have had a tank ready for some for almost 2 years. Maybe some day, dreams do come true sometimes :roll:
I don't feel so bad, then :lol:

What's the holdup, Neon? If you just can't locate some (and it sure can be difficult), I can PM you some of the places I've found. Unfortunately, most only sell the entire habitat <-which I don't need. I wanted to buy the shrimp alone but can't find those anymore, not even as seahorse food. So I've decided to buy from places that sell OPEN-TOP tanks, not enclosed globes of course. I guess the good thing about buying the entire mini-habitat is I can move the established lava rock over and probably not have to cycle anew. Those habitats are still too small (some are less than 1 gallon), IMO. I know the shrimp will do better in something I create and maintain myself but at least it will be easier to transfer them from an open-able container.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Please send me a PM with the places. I will not buy the globes or tiny habitats, that is just support the sale of such items :x I have not been able to find any hobbyist who are willing or have enough to share. I will just wait if I have to, I have been doing it for a while now. Thanks for any info you can send me Baby_Girl :-)
aberfitch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by aberfitch »

Baby_Girl wrote:Wowee, those pics sure are amazing! They're such beautiful shrimp. I especially love the last pic of the closeup female?

I can't WAIT until I get the cash to start my own opae ula breeding colony. I even have the tank, though I've put off cycling it for saltwater because I don't know when I can afford the shrimp themselves.

Sigh, to be a poor graduate student... :P

Cycling the tank is a great idea but if you won't be able to afford Hawaiian reds How will you afford Salt water fish? They are much higher thank shrimps in the pet stores I have been to.
aberfitch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by aberfitch »

I hear it is illegal to collect and sell direct from nature now... and even if so you have to have a licence to export them. Thats why they are so hard to get. Sellers were probably depleating the little ponds to nothing. I have read a lot of people buy the habitats and break them open to start their own collection to breed, but they range around 75.00 for a glove and that is kind of a little expensive for about 5 shrimp.... Can you send me some of those links also? I would like to check them out as well.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Two things. When you post pictures, make sure you credit the person they belong to. In this case these pictures look like they belong to Scott Santos, a professor (and an "online friend" of mine) at Auburn University who does some excellent research on these creatures. Give credit where credit is due. It's also always a good policy to ask the owner of such pictures if they can be used. I'm pretty sure Scott wouldn't mind if credit is given.

Also, "send me a PM with info on where I can buy X shrimp" still violates the rules. Please keep such discussions to PMs only (hint..everyone has a PM button you can click). Thanks! :)
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Also, "send me a PM with info on where I can buy X shrimp" still violates the rules. Please keep such discussions to PMs only (hint..everyone has a PM button you can click). Thanks! Mustafa
Thanks for the clarification and the reminder.
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

I also apologize if my solicitation for PM's was borderline against the rules. It was not my intention to get anyone in trouble, just to share my findings. I've spent months researching this species and want fellow responsible hobbyists to benefit from my legwork to locate environmentally-minded suppliers.
aberfitch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by aberfitch »

We appreciate your hard work and deddication for the information. anyways it was just a reminder. besides we don't really know we did wrong untill some one tells us so. :wink: