WSS Virus and shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

WSS Virus and shrimp

Post by southerndesert »

This virus has been reported to have shown up in a hobbyist's tank. I had never heard of it before...

http://www.thefishsite.com/articles/290 ... virus-wssv

Bill
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: WSS Virus and shrimp

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the link. I had heard about this disease before in farm raised saltwater shrimp. This is the first time I hear about it in crayfish. I doubt we have to worry about this much, though when buying captive-bred shrimp. It may be a problem when buying wild-caught shrimp and a quarantine tank may be a good idea. After all, wild shrimp do come with a "host" of parasites and diseases that they bring from their native habitats.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

We don't know much about how it is spread, but it seems to be from food made from sick animals. If you get new stock, or keep crayfish and shrimp in the same area, it is prudent to keep the nets, etc. separate to prevent cross contamination.
epicfish
Egg
Egg

Post by epicfish »

Hm, I think I've seen what may be this in one of my snowball tanks.

I have horrible pictures...here is one of an affected female. Notice a bright red ring only on one side of the head.

I can't get pictures of the ones with dots on the sides of their heads, but I'll keep trying. The dots are affecting both young and adult shrimp and both males and females.

It looks like this, but of course, is much smaller in my shrimp:

Image borrowed from: http://microbiologybytes.wordpress.com/ ... -syndrome/
gr81
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by gr81 »

Damn, I dont know if I have same disease, but the results are fatal.
Diease starts with white dot at place where "ass" is. Then white dots in flesh occurs. As time goes whole body should be almost white. Some shrimps have only milky bodies.
In all cases all ill animals dies. all shrimps in tank will get it. it's only question of time. Only cure is kill all, all equipment kick out and establish new tank with new shrimps.
Origin of diseaese Wild C. propingua.
horrible
gr81
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by gr81 »

I found this: http://www.shrimpnow.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=46
some of those blue pearls has white dots o sides. I have it too in tank. but shrimps to well and have no problems.
p.s: this is other "thing" I described in previous post.