Breeding Macrobrachium cf. scabriculum

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Breeding Macrobrachium cf. scabriculum

Post by pixl8r »

Greetings all,

It's been a while since I've posted here, but I have been reading. :) I have become interested in breeding some of the Macrobrachium species that require brackish or marine water to mature. I am starting with 'Chameleon shrimp' or M cf. scabriculum. I've been reading all of the information I can find on type of Macrobrachium shrimp. There does not appear to be much information available. And, most of the technical, scientific, papers that I have, do not discuss environments very well. They mostly go into distinguishing species characteristics, and related topics.

Have any of you tried, successfully or unsuccessfully, to breed any type of shrimp like this? I have a firm grasp of what the adult shrimp need, but so far, all I've been able to find out about rearing the young is, they need salt ratio of ~12 to 15ppt.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: Breeding Macrobrachium cf. scabriculum

Post by badflash »

There is a great deal of info on caring for larval M. Rosenbergii. PM me with your e-mail and I'll send you some literature. Be sure your inbox has room for 5Meg.
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Breeding Macrobrachium cf. scabriculum

Post by pixl8r »

Hey, thanks for the help badflash. I sent you a PM with my email address.

BTW, have you read the paper published last year, about M. rosenbergii and M. dacqueti? There's the title, authors, and abstract of the paper.
The Giant Freshwater prawns of the Macrobrachium rosenbergii species group (Crustacea: Decapoda: Caridea: Palaemonidae)

Daisy Wowor, Peter K.L. Ng

Abstract. - The present study of the giant freshwater prawns, Macrobr44achium rosenbergii species group examined a large series of wild-caught specimens from most of its known distribution. The results confirm that what has been called M. rosenbergii actually belongs to two separate species, easily-separated by a number of diagnostic adult morphological characters. Macrobrachium rosenbergii (de Man. 1879) sensustrico occurs in Australia, Papua New Guinae, eastern Indonesia (east of Huxley's Line including Bali) and the Philippines (including Palawan). The second species, which is actually the one more widely fished and extensively cultured in Americas, Asia and Africa, is here identified as M. dacqueti (Sunier, 1925), and occurs throughout South and Shoutheast Asia, as well as Indochina. This latter species is one of the most commercially important crustaceans in the world.