Looking for shrimp safe antifungal

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

wskurdahl
Larva
Larva

Looking for shrimp safe antifungal

Post by wskurdahl »

think thats what it is). Has anyone treated their shrimp tanks with any anti fungals?

I am looking at medications for sale here as I will be ordering some other stuff

http://kensfish.com/medicationfungal.html

METHYLENE BLUE - this looks promising because I know its so commonly used but not sure about shrimp.

KORDON RID FUNGUS:
100% Organic Herbals Based On Naphthoquinones For Fresh and Saltwater Aquarium and Pond Conditions. Helps Prevent And Treat Single-Celled External Fish Diseases Caused By Fungus, as well as by White Spot Disease (Ich), Other Protozoans, and Dinoflagellates. Equally Effective In Fresh And Salt Water. Does Not Require Water Changes Between Treatments. Safe For Use With Aquatic Invertebrates (Snails, Shrimp, Crabs, Coral, Anemones, etc.) 1 teaspoon treats 10 gallons. 16 oz. treats 920 gallons.

Also looking at this since it says its safe with inverts.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: Looking for shrimp safe antifungal

Post by badflash »

The only thing I've used are melafix. Worked.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

I do know (from experience) that Methylene Blue will dye your shrimp blue for a little while.
wskurdahl
Larva
Larva

Post by wskurdahl »

as long as its only temporary thats fine. I just want to use it on the eggs and babies when they first hatch (before I can move them out).
Guba
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Guba »

If it isn't broke, then don't fix it!!! New born shrimp aren't born with fungus! If they're fungusing soon after hatching, then it sounds like they're getting injured to cause the fungus. Are you aerating your water too much? Most species like minimal water current. From personal experience, shrimp eggs that fungus aren't fertile, and new hatched shrimp are healthy.
wskurdahl
Larva
Larva

Post by wskurdahl »

I guess I didn't mention it but I am looking for an antifungal only to use when trying to artificially hatch the eggs with the mother dies. I am using a airpump and airline to move the water (and eggs) around but I want something to combat the fungus that usually grows on the eggs. Most likely the fungus is growing because of the dead pieces of the mother that could not be removed from the eggs.
geordie john
Egg
Egg

Post by geordie john »

Hi wskurdahl,
I'd be very tempted to try broad leafed tree leaves . Tanin is a natural disinfectant released by trees when exposed to damage alowing fungal spores to enter the system. Catalpa leaves are used by some Siamies fighter breeders as a fungal preventative.
All the best,
G.J.
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

The problem with leaves; you can't accurately dose the water, and you can't be sure of what other chemicals you may be introducing into your tank.