Chloramine Removal

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

TripleLexx
Egg
Egg

Chloramine Removal

Post by TripleLexx »

Hi there,
I'm interested to know if you should treat reverse osmosis purified water to remove chloramine or if it should be ok to use without any chemicals?

I suspect my water source uses this rather than chlorine.
Also my ro unit is 4 stage with 1 carbon block and a coconut carbon "taste" block.

Many thanks,
JohnPaul
Larva
Larva

Re: Chloramine Removal

Post by JohnPaul »

Well here's my view...

If your the carbon block in your RO system removes all the chloramine, but you go ahead and treat the water with a little Prime (or whatever) anyways...no harm done. If the RO system fails to remove all the chloramine and you decide not to treat the water, you very well may have just wiped out your entire tank. Seems to me "better safe than sorry" would be the appropriate motto here.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

agree with johnpaul
TripleLexx
Egg
Egg

Post by TripleLexx »

Great, thanks for the feedback.
I'm just a bit hesitant because it's not really designed for filtered water and I really don't understand the science behind this "blue stuff", but I've already added some to one tank.
I still need to cycle them and do some more tests after things have settled but I guess all will be very clear when I start adding the occupants.