halocaradina rubra/ opae ula breeding

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

loraxchatter
Egg
Egg

halocaradina rubra/ opae ula breeding

Post by loraxchatter »

I have a theory regarding breeding success of these opae ulas. They don't like one constant temperature all day.
Mine are constantly producing eggs. I started out with 10, and now I think I have more than 60 in less than 2 years. (There are at least 3 berried shrimps right now--4 yesterday, but I notice over 10 new babies floating today). I don't feed them or change the brackish water. I only top up with fresh water. I haven't changed any water for fear of scooping out all the little ones by accident.
I don't use a heater. I suspect that they like some temperature variation, like in nature--day and night fluctuations. I just keep mine by a south/west window and leave them there at room temp (20c). It would get slightly cooler by the window where I live each night.

I do worry that the temperature would get too cold for them in the winter here if it dips below freezing for more than a week at a time. Though, it hasn't been a problem yet. Is there such a thing as a heater that has varied time temperature settings? for a teeny tiny tank (gallon and a half)?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: halocaradina rubra/ opae ula breeding

Post by Mustafa »

loraxchatter wrote: Is there such a thing as a heater that has varied time temperature settings? for a teeny tiny tank (gallon and a half)?
No, but you can buy a timer for your heater so it turns on at certain times of the day (e.g. only during the day, off at night, or vice versa). With some experimentation you can find the settings for your needs.
Mac Myers
Egg
Egg

Post by Mac Myers »

I've had 28 Halocaridina rubra for a month and a half now and have yet to see any berries. I'll try the temperature variation as well as that tank stays at a constant 23.9° C (75° F) at all times. :?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It takes a lot longer than a month and half for these guys to get going. Your shrimp probably aren't even fully grown. These guys get much bigger than most people think. Have patience.
fredanddino
Egg
Egg

Post by fredanddino »

hi, there

i´m still not an opae´ula expert, but I think, that temperature variations are good, because in nature, especially in shallow water, the temperature also varies.
my opae´ulas live at room temperature and I think, they are doing fine.
I admit, that in summer I tried to cool the water with ice, because I think, there´s a limit in high temperature rather than in low temperatures...

greetings, Evi