Move plant from medicated tank to Cherry Shrimp tank?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

GvilleGuy
Egg
Egg

Move plant from medicated tank to Cherry Shrimp tank?

Post by GvilleGuy »

Can new users post new threads? I tried posting this topic once already, but it disappeared after I submitted it. Trying again.

I think the answer to this is "no, don't do that", but thought it would not hurt to ask! I'm currently treating my primary fish tank for internal parasites with "Jungle Anti-Parasite Medicated Fish Food". The primary ingredients listed are Metronidazole, Praziquantel, and Levimasole. It is also listed as not safe for "saltwater invertebrates". It is pellet food rather than liquid in the tank.

I want to transfer a few, small water sprite plants from this tank to my cherry shrimp tank to improve their cover and food source, but am not sure if it would be safe to move plants from the medicated tank.

Thanks! GVG
7Enigma
Larva
Larva

Re: Move plant from medicated tank to Cherry Shrimp tank?

Post by 7Enigma »

I would first move the plants to a separate tank/bucket for a couple weeks changing out the water frequently with fresh tap water. This would help to insure that any toxins that possibly got absorbed into the tissue of the plants has had time to dissipate.
GvilleGuy
Egg
Egg

Post by GvilleGuy »

Thanks, Enigma - I will try soaking the plants first for a while. Perhaps even just wait for new plants to develop off the original one I remove, and then just take the new 'baby' plants to the shrimp tank. I hadn't thought about doing this.

Gvilleguy
7Enigma
Larva
Larva

Post by 7Enigma »

I would be careful with not soaking for a while first. Some nutrients (and thus possibly chemicals) are transportable throughout the tissues of the plant, while others are not. What this means is some chemicals may be CONCENTRATED at the new growth areas though most likely they will be "trapped" in the old growth. I would still do an extended soak in a separate clean container with several water changes before making a decision of what parts of the plant to transfer over.

HTH
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Terran »

If the sole purpose is to provide the shrimp with feeding surfaces and cover you could just find some rocks or any other object, the more porous the better, and add them to the tank (Obviously avoid rocks or objects that will leech harmful substances to your shrimp).