New Here...

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

RandyABQ
Egg
Egg

New Here...

Post by RandyABQ »

Hello all,

I just signed up to the board since I've been researching keeping shrimp. I'm already starting to plan out my tank setup for my Red Cherry Shrimp. I've always been one to research something to death before beginning a project.

Thus far my plan is:
20 gallon tank (I eventually want a nice sized colony)
Hydro-Sponge Pro II Filter
Aqueon 50 Watt ProHeater
Universal Rocks Rocky Background
Substrate of black aquarium sand
Nice sized driftwood center piece
Maybe a couple of Olive Nerite Snails (not sure how many I'd need) to get the algae the shrimp can't reach
And naturally test kits, etc.

After researching I think I've got a grasp on cycling the tank. Haven't found info about how to season a tank in preparation for shrimp.

I've already learned a lot here and am looking forward to my shrimp colony adventure.

Randy
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Re: New Here...

Post by Newjohn »

Randy,
Welcome aboard.
Haven't found info about how to season a tank in preparation for shrimp.
The term " Seasoned " refers to a Older / Aged TanK.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

Welcome Randy.

be patient and things will go smothly...... everything is about patience with shrimp :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

RandyABQ wrote: Haven't found info about how to season a tank in preparation for shrimp.
Hi Randy,

As the previous posters implied, it's just a tank that has found a biological balance after a period of time. I would wait approximately 2 months after setting up tank during which you do absolutely nothing. No water changes, no changing decor, plants or substrate. Just leave the tank alone with the lights turned on and off normally every 12 hours. If everything goes right, you will see some algae growing on the glass and on rocks...that's when it's usually a good time to put in your shrimp.
RandyABQ
Egg
Egg

Post by RandyABQ »

Mustafa wrote:
Hi Randy,

As the previous posters implied, it's just a tank that has found a biological balance after a period of time. I would wait approximately 2 months after setting up tank during which you do absolutely nothing. No water changes, no changing decor, plants or substrate. Just leave the tank alone with the lights turned on and off normally every 12 hours. If everything goes right, you will see some algae growing on the glass and on rocks...that's when it's usually a good time to put in your shrimp.
Hi Mustafa,

Just to clarify. Would the two months be after the tank is cycled or including the cycling time? I plan on doing a fishless cycling on the tank.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

Hi Randy ,

2 month is a rough estimate.
You will see if everything goes right, your tank getting lifes , and start get populated with all kind of interesting life, pods, algae, etc....

Z.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

As Zapisto suggested, there is really no set time. It all depends on your source water, substrate, lighting, filtration etc. About 2-3 months including the cycling time is a pretty good rough estimate, some tanks may mature earlier...some later, of course.
RandyABQ
Egg
Egg

Post by RandyABQ »

Thanks... My target date to set up the tank and begin cycling is the week of April 16 after we return home from the funeral of my partner's mother in Los Angeles.

Randy
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

all y sympathy to you and your family.
let us now how things going when you setup the tank.