RED Malawa shrimp! :)

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

RED Malawa shrimp! :)

Post by Mustafa »

And another mutation I am working with...sometimes I think I need a few hundred tanks just to isolate all the mutations I am encountering in my shrimp colonies. Many are lost because I just don't have the tank space to work with all of them. I don't think there is a shrimp out there that quite matches this coloration. I noticed one "weird" colored shrimp popping up in my Malawa shrimp colony at some point. I selected it out and paired it with a normal male. After quite a bit of time and a few generations, the first few red malawas are popping up in that particular colony now. The shrimp in the picture below is the original shrimp. Unfortunately, she died a few months ago...she was way over 2 years old, which is ancient for small shrimp species like that. In the picture you can see a pretty colorless male malawa shrimp...can't remember if that is the male I paired her up with or one of her offspring carrying her red genes. I'll try to take pictures of some of her current red offspring and post them in this thread in the future.

Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: RED Malawa shrimp! :)

Post by Stalker »

no news?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Stalker wrote:no news?
Lots of news...I just haven't reported any of it yet. ;) I have second and third generation red animals right now. The frequency of red animals in every new generation increases, but the red coloration does not seem to be a simple recessive trait as the red in red cherry shrimp. In other words, red malawa x red malawa does not produce all red offspring...yet. I'll have to keep working on this new color strain to get a stable, red Malawa shrimp population in the end.
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Stalker »

Amazing, can you show some pictures please?

And what about your blue Caridina sulawesi?

Annoter question: I have one "tiger" mutant malawa, I want to select this mutation but i have no space at home, so I think I will do it outside. Do you ever tried to keep malawa outside during the summer (poubellarium)? If you did it, what is the minimum temperature for them?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I'll try to get some new pictures soon. I took some pictures a few months ago, but they turned out quite blurry. As for the blue C. sulawesi, I'll write about it in its own topic.
What exactly do you mean by "tiger" mutant? It's quite normal for Malawa shrimp to have stripes actually. Do you have pictures of your shrimp?

Yes, I have actually kept them outside before. They can take temperatures down to about 15-16 degrees Celsius, although ideally they should be at 20 Celsius and above, especially if you want them to continue breeding.
Stalker wrote:Amazing, can you show some pictures please?

And what about your blue Caridina sulawesi?

Annoter question: I have one "tiger" mutant malawa, I want to select this mutation but i have no space at home, so I think I will do it outside. Do you ever tried to keep malawa outside during the summer (poubellarium)? If you did it, what is the minimum temperature for them?
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Stalker »

I have no pictures of my striped one sorry.

And i have one with one unique stripe on the thorax (like this one, but more contrasted), I call her "pirate".
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Stalker »

Unfortunatly I think my stripped one is an alien in my tank, may be a Red-Cherry X White-Pearl hybrid.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Stalker wrote:Unfortunatly I think my stripped one is an alien in my tank, may be a Red-Cherry X White-Pearl hybrid.
Yeah, some Neocaridina sp. can have "tiger like" striping, especially the males.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

A year and a half late...here's a picture of one of the offspring from December 2012. I have built up a colony now that produces a pretty high percentage of red/dark animals. The selective breeding is ongoing, though. I'll post more current pictures soon.

KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Wow! Better late than not at all. She looks great Mustafa.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

These guys are still around and the selection process is continuing. I was neglecting my tanks for a while, so the population shrunk but they are breeding again now that I'm paying more attention. Still not 100% true breeding but it's pretty close. I may start selling some animals that were taken out of this population because they look "normal" but likely carry the genes for this coloration. In fact I have a whole population of those gene carrying animals that's thriving...there must be hundreds..soon thousands. I always have lots of red animals in that population, too, but I don't put them back into the actual red colony out of fear that this trait is not simple recessive and hence may mess with the percentage of red animals in my red colony. It's probably an unwarranted fear but I want to be on the safe side. Hence...I may sell some red animals soon, too. :D
Skem
Egg
Egg

Post by Skem »

Any news on this? I wanted to breed red malawa shrimp as well, so your progress is very interesting for me :smt006
NYCShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by NYCShrimp »

Me too! If my new, larger & upgraded shrimp tank is doing well by the time the weather warms back up again, I'd love to order 5 Malawa shrimp from you (although I'd be happy with any variety).
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

How are the red Malawa shrimps coming along? I'll be ordering some Malawa shrimp from you in a few weeks or a month and would love some red ones!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Ok, it looks like my population is 100% true breeding at this point. Just waiting for a new batch of babies to hatch (have a bunch of berried females) to possibly start offering them for sale. The young aren't all immediately reddish-brown but they turn that way over time. I'll try to post some pictures or videos of the population soon.