2 ids needed please

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

rclover
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

2 ids needed please

Post by rclover »

Sorry for the bad pictures

John
retardo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by retardo »

2nd pic definitely looks like a bumblebee shrimp (black stripe starting at head rather than white, which would be a bee shrimp).

not sure about the first one, but i have few in my tank as well. lfs dubbed "rainbow shrimp." looks similar to ninja shrimp on shrimp varieties page tho.

anyone else have any idea?

-r
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The first one looks like what our friends from Singapore commonly call a "Malayan" shrimp. In what state (of the US) did you get this shrimp?

And yes, the second one is a bumbebee shrimp.

Mustafa
rclover
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by rclover »

I am getting all my shrimp for my lfs here in southern california, I'll ask who is their wholesaler next time I go. I have about 6 different speices of shrimp...
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, let me know who their wholesaler is. :) Can you take pictures of your other shrimp varieties, too? I am kind of curious what this wholesaler is offering.

Take care,
Mustafa
rclover
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by rclover »

I will, just for you :D do you know the latin name for mayalan shrimp?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks! :) You can use "Private Messaging" here in the Forum to tell me about the wholesaler if you find out since that info will be useless for most people here.

Take care,
Mustafa
rclover
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by rclover »

I need one more ID please, is this mayalan shrimp too? It's red, sometimes purple, and brown.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, looks like a "Malayan." Shrimp. Also, nobody is sure what their latin name is. Some similar shrimp imported into Germany are supposedly close to Caridina babaulti, but I don't buy it.

What were these shrimp called when you bought them at the store?
rclover
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by rclover »

algae eating shrimp
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I guess that's what they call every shrimp that eats algae. Do you mind telling me how much they ("Malayans") cost over there?
kimco
Larva
Larva

Post by kimco »

This malayan shrimp is sometimes called "rainbow" shrimp over here and and in Sg. and for obvious reason. They change to multitude of colors and the change is quite permanent. We normally identify them by their long thick stripe that run from head to its rear.

FYI, this typ of shrimp is the cheapest here and can be found practically in every river/stream which is relatively unpolluted.

Cheers,

KG