COLOR ENHANCEMENT OF CHERRY SHRIMP?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

mikeynike
Egg
Egg

COLOR ENHANCEMENT OF CHERRY SHRIMP?

Post by mikeynike »

Would anyone out there know -by using flake food mixed with Naturose (natural source of astaxanthin) improve the color of red shrimp?

Thanks,
Mike
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

I've been feeding my Cherry and Tiger with a kind of color-enhancer food for neon tetra. My Cherry is very 'red'. But I guess their color is affected by water quality as well.
Erirku
Egg
Egg

Post by Erirku »

Here is my style of feeding colorful shrimp, on which I have 2 different varieties ( CRS & RCS ). Go and buy the "Hikari algae waffers".
Here is what I do with the waffers:
1) get a used camera film holder, those small things that people store their drugs or loose change. But get the clear one.
2) put several waffer in there
3) grab a nail with a big flat head or top, then a hammer
4) gently hammer the nail, but don't use the pointy stuff
5) WHOLA, crushed algae food, make sure it is fine.
I love it when I feed them, because the CRS go crazy in the tank for it. And RCS have really turned red and CRS also too. Hope this helps everyone out in what to feed them. Also Picesgirl and Jan from APC are really good w/ what to feed shrimps. Thanks
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Is "Algae Waffer" a kind of dried food? Is it easily available in fish shops?
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Hi Erirku,

What's more, your shrimp food sounds yummy. My shrimps enjoy algae very much but sometimes I don't have enough algae for them because they eat too fast and algae grows too slowly. Thanks for your recommendation anyway. :D

Becky
kimco
Larva
Larva

Post by kimco »

My CRS doesnt want to touch that stuff but my amano just loves them! :P

Cheers,

KG
51Cornell
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by 51Cornell »

Can't testify for Naturose (I think it smells yum myself though) since I don't use it all that frequently but all the algae-shrimp we have LOVE spirulina. The powdered stuff floats so you can see the shrimp hanging from the water surface or any plants up there for the bigger shrimp. I use spirulina tablets too since they sink, I get them from the healthfood store (I'm supposed to be taking them but I don't like the taste so I'm feeding them to my shrimp). They're 100% spirulina, not a diluted "algae" wafer thing and chock full of vitamins. The shrimp and snails SWARM over the tablets. The paramecia turn the same shade of dark green (usually they're off-whitish). Also, strong light will affect the redness of your Reds.
Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Jackie »

51Cornell wrote:They're 100% spirulina, not a diluted "algae" wafer thing and chock full of vitamins.
Is this thing expensive?
Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: COLOR ENHANCEMENT OF CHERRY SHRIMP?

Post by Jackie »

mikeynike wrote:Would anyone out there know -by using flake food mixed with Naturose (natural source of astaxanthin) improve the color of red shrimp?
IMO colour enhancing food isn't really a must - my Fire Reds (aka Cherries) eat only algae and are bright red. The best way to have intensively red shrimps is to selectively breed them, pick out the brightest ones.