Question abt CRS eggs

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

colourtv
Egg
Egg

Question abt CRS eggs

Post by colourtv »

Hi all,

I happen to have 2 CRS with eggs. One is laden with about approximately 25 eggs, the other only with about two eggs. May I noe why is that so?

I have read one of the earlier treads that for tiger shrimp, the unfertilized eggs will be "dropped". So does that apply to CRS as well? That means for my the other shrimp, only two eggs are fertilized. Also do the mother shrimp "lay" all the eggs at once? Or over a period of say 2 days or so?

Cant wait to see my mini baby CRS shrimps!!

Thanks!

Colourtv
kross
Larva
Larva

Post by kross »

hi, congrats!! if u dun mind me asking, what's your crs tank temperature?

as for the eggs thingy.... i guess u'll have to wait for others to comment. :P
colourtv
Egg
Egg

Post by colourtv »

Hi,

As read off my themometer (how accurate I do not know), it reads about 25~26 deg for day and 24~25 deg for night. I have a tiny fan for the tank.

I am still very much amature in keeping CRS. I guess i am very lucky my CRS are still alive! :P Lets hope its kept this way.
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

I wonder if it's very difficult to keep Crystal Red coz it's very expensive in my country.
blenny
Larva
Larva

Re: Question abt CRS eggs

Post by blenny »

colourtv wrote:Hi all,

I happen to have 2 CRS with eggs. One is laden with about approximately 25 eggs, the other only with about two eggs. May I noe why is that so?

I have read one of the earlier treads that for tiger shrimp, the unfertilized eggs will be "dropped". So does that apply to CRS as well? That means for my the other shrimp, only two eggs are fertilized. Also do the mother shrimp "lay" all the eggs at once? Or over a period of say 2 days or so?

Cant wait to see my mini baby CRS shrimps!!

Thanks!

Colourtv

Mother CRS could drop eggs when stressed, lookout for fungued eggs in tank.

25 eggs per female is abit on the low side.
colourtv
Egg
Egg

Re: Question abt CRS eggs

Post by colourtv »

Hi,

25 eggs is my rough estimate. I really hope it's much more that 25 eggs :D . by the way, what's the normal number of eggs the mother shrimp would carry? May i ask what's the duration between laying and hatching of the eggs? Will other shrimps eat it thinking that the egss are food?

Thanks!
kimco
Larva
Larva

Post by kimco »

beckypyyeung wrote:I wonder if it's very difficult to keep Crystal Red coz it's very expensive in my country.
Not only in your country but i think everywhere as well! :cry: About a month and a half ago, i bought 5 pcs for RM200.00 (USD53.00) and at that time it was damn tiny, something like 8mm or so, and i am glad to note that it is about 20mm or so now and i've managed to achieve 100% survival rate :P I think it is quite hardy, well at least i my case, and they dont seem to touch anything that i feed them! They will only eat from the mosses, i wonder why is that?

Cheers,

KG
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Hi Kimco,

I've heard that some species are expensive because they easily die. That's why I suspected it's difficult to keep them. I've never tried Crystal Red because it's too expensive (US$12 each in my country).

About the diet of your Crystal Red. It sounds like they're vegetarian.

Becky