Red Cherry Shrimp and Zebra Daniois

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

jonathan03
Larva
Larva

Red Cherry Shrimp and Zebra Daniois

Post by jonathan03 »

Hi,

I am interested in adding some Red Cherry Shrimp and I would like to know if they are compatable with zebra danios. I have a 38 gallon tank with 8 zebra/lepard danios, 3 ottos and lots of live plants.

Is it likely that these shrimp will have any trouble with the danios? They danios are an inch or so. However, there are couple of them that are mildly agressive. Will the danios be able to eat the shrimp whole? I'm not sure exactly how big these shrimp are. All the pictures seem to be a zoom so its hard to tell their size.
retardo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by retardo »

any aggression imo is not good in a tank with shrimp, but i think the heavy planting will give them plenty of spaces to hide. i've had some mildly aggressive neons before but they generally leave the shrimp alone.

i don't foresee a problem with putting danios with the cherries except when the cherries reproduce and release the babies. then it'll be a very nice meal for the danios.

rich
kimco
Larva
Larva

Post by kimco »

I think any hint of agressor will result in your shrimps hiding and therefore makes them difficult to spot. I see no reason for having any shrimps if you kept on trying to look for them in between your plants ;-)

Cheers,

KG
jonathan03
Larva
Larva

Post by jonathan03 »

How about if I switch the danios with white cloud mountain minnows? They seem to be more peaceful and smaller than danios. I definately want to get the cherry shrimp to reproduce.
retardo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by retardo »

white clouds, tho more peaceful, will still eat ur baby shrimp... any fish with w/ or w/o eyes will. put them in there at your own risk!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I would suggest that you keep the shrimp alone at first so they can build up a large population (50-100 shrimp). The provide tons of fine plants such as Java Moss so the shrimp hatchlings and adult shrimp can hide in them. Then you can add peaceful fish like white clouds if you must. The shrimp population will keep itself going and will even grow slowly despite the fish at that point.

I personally think that shrimp are interesting enough by themselves and deserve their own tank, but to each his/her own.

Mustafa
jonathan03
Larva
Larva

Post by jonathan03 »

Ok, one last question and it may be a very stupid one. What are the chances of these shrimp surviving with a very large cichlid? I have a jaguar that is 10". It would seem like a slaughter at first, but if the danios are big enough to eat the shrimp and they are an inch or less, I'm wondering if the jaguar will complely ignore them. The jaguar is used to eating foods much larger than these shrimp sound like. I feed him goldfish and rosey reds that are 1" or more.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm just really unsure of what size the shrimp are. They look very small in all the pictures.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The shrimp would probably be dinner for the cichlid still. Why not just buy a 10 gallon and make shrimp tank? A ten gallon can be had for $7.99 here in NYC. Put some sand in it, sponge filter...let it fully cycle...fill it with some java moss if you want and voila...a shrimp tank!

As to the sizes of the shrimp...just convert the centimer figures that I provided to inches and you'll have an idea of the adult sizes of the various shrimp species on my shrimp varieties page.

Mustafa
Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Jackie »

Mustafa wrote:The shrimp would probably be dinner for the cichlid still.
IMO rather an appetizer then a real meal :wink: