Please help me ID my LPS's shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

javalee
Egg
Egg

Please help me ID my LPS's shrimp

Post by javalee »

I really want some amano or cherry reds but no one in the area carries them or will order them. Instead, one LFS owner told me he could order some "chinese algae eating shrimp." :roll: I know this is a totally bogus name and he didn't know their scientific name. He said his supplier told him they eat algae, stay at about 1," and won't attack fish. Any ideas about what these could be?
javalee
Egg
Egg

Post by javalee »

ok, no one seems interested, but now the guy says they're Japanese algae eating shrimp and they look a bit like ghost shrimp so I'm thinking they're Yamato/Amano shrimp, and I'm glad.
kimco
Larva
Larva

Post by kimco »

Its not that no one is interested, I think its just that no one knows what this "Chinese Shrimp" is without a picture. Mere description is very very difficult to ascertain or ID any shrimp.

Cheers,

KG
Lotus
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Lotus »

Amano shrimp are often called "algae eating shrimp." The new and interesting names that wholesalers come up with certainly don't help anyone identify fish or inverts.
hwchoy
Larva
Larva

Post by hwchoy »

Lotus wrote:Amano shrimp are often called "algae eating shrimp." The new and interesting names that wholesalers come up with certainly don't help anyone identify fish or inverts.
ahem, ironically "Amano shrimp" is exactly a "…new and interesting names that wholesalers come up with…"

:-D
Lotus
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Lotus »

Yeah, I know :oops: I wish they would put the Latin name and whatever common name, at least you would have a chance of finding out if it's the creature you wanted. I talk to the fish store owner, he says the list he receives isn't always clear, often he has to take a gamble that what is listed is what he wants to order. Apparently here in the US wholesaler lists are usually only common names.
hwchoy
Larva
Larva

Post by hwchoy »

Lotus wrote:Yeah, I know :oops: I wish they would put the Latin name and whatever common name, at least you would have a chance of finding out if it's the creature you wanted. I talk to the fish store owner, he says the list he receives isn't always clear, often he has to take a gamble that what is listed is what he wants to order. Apparently here in the US wholesaler lists are usually only common names.
well, even latin names sometimes change! :-D

the Yamato shrimp (the vernacular name used in Japan) is currently known as Caridina japonica, but which will soon be replaced with Caridina multidentata which is an earlier name and hence valid under ICZN rules. C. japonica is hence a junior synonym.
javalee
Egg
Egg

Post by javalee »

OK, Thanks for the replies. If they are amano shrimp, how many for a 10g with lots of driftwood, plants, brown algae, and an oto?