Red Nose Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

newshrimplover
Egg
Egg

Red Nose Shrimp

Post by newshrimplover »

Hi,

Just bought 4 red nose shrimp. Put them in my shrimps only 2 ft tank together with Tiger and Cherry shrimp. After 3 days, I notice the red nose begin to eat up most of the plants, including moss.

Does anyone else have the same experience ?

Thank you.
samosette
Egg
Egg

i have two red nose

Post by samosette »

They are great algae grazers. Mine pick at my plants all day and night long, but they dont seem to eat or harm the plants. At least mine don't, they just clean em.
newshrimplover
Egg
Egg

Post by newshrimplover »

Thanks for your reply. I have just isolated the red nose to a smaller tank and added some more plants. Will see what happen next.
Sami
Egg
Egg

Re: Red Nose Shrimp

Post by Sami »

newshrimplover wrote:Hi,

Just bought 4 red nose shrimp. Put them in my shrimps only 2 ft tank together with Tiger and Cherry shrimp. After 3 days, I notice the red nose begin to eat up most of the plants, including moss.

Does anyone else have the same experience ?

Thank you.
Yes. I have red nose shrimps which eat plants, but only Egeria densa. Both of the plants grow quickly in my aquarium so compared to their algae eating skills it doesn't matter that they occasionally bite of few leaves of plants. They don't eat plants all the time and I've heard that the eating _may_ be related to gender. All my red noses are female.
newshrimplover
Egg
Egg

Post by newshrimplover »

Hi Sami,

Maybe you are right, 'they don't eat plants all the time'. My tank is relatively new, about 1 week old. No algae as yet. Perhaps that's why they eat up all my plants.
Swervedriver
Egg
Egg

Post by Swervedriver »

Sami, what do your female red-nose shrimp look like? Any characteristics distinguishable from the males?
newshrimplover
Egg
Egg

Post by newshrimplover »

I am not sure which is male or female. I got only 5 and looks the same to me.
kimco
Larva
Larva

Post by kimco »

From observation of my red-nose, I think the female tends to be bigger in size and comes with less red stripes while the male tends to be smaller but are more colourful in terms of red stripes on their bodies.

Cheers,

KG
BlueEL
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by BlueEL »

another thing is the red nose of the male tends to be longer and skinner.