Weird White Fuzz

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Weird White Fuzz

Post by JennyPenny »

What is this fuzzy white stuff? It's on my glass and plants. In the second picture it is mostly on the plant roots, in the first picture it's on the Java moss. It was getting on my Marimos too, so I removed them from the tank. It's spreading all over the tank and is very unattractive! This tank contains rabbit snails, RCS, and a vampire shrimp.
IMG_20160522_072617.jpg
IMG_20160522_072554.jpg
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Weird White Fuzz

Post by Mustafa »

hmmm...good question..never seen it before. But i'm guessing it's some kind of microorganism..probably harmless..and probably will go away on its own.
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

Hopefully it will go away, but for now it's spreading very fast. I can use a sponge on the glass but I can't get it off of the Java moss.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Spreading fast? Hmm...interesting. Can yo take a more closeup photo of one of them? they don't move right? ;)
jonesinfershrimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by jonesinfershrimp »

if it becomes a further problem you could possibly try a bleach dip to kill it. i know it works for snail eggs at least. but it should take care of this "fuzz" also.
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

I cleaned the tank last week and used an algae scrubber to knock off most of the white fuzz. I tried to remove it from the plants as well as I could. It has not come back! I have no idea what it was.
Mustafa, I looked it at it with a very small magnifier and it didn't look like hydra, but kind of moved like hydra-swaying back and forth a little. That's as best as I described the motion, although it was not long like hydra and more like little dots (but definitely not copepods).
For now I think it shall remain a mystery. If it comes back I will update this thread.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I know this is a bit late...but is it still there?
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

No, I ended up rubbing it off and it never came back. It was very weird!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I'm guessing it was some kind fungus. In any case, I'm glad it's gone! :)