Cherry Reds and Medication (Jungle Fungus Clear)

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Seumas
Egg
Egg

Cherry Reds and Medication (Jungle Fungus Clear)

Post by Seumas »

I have a 20 gal heavely planted nature aquarium with co2 injection and high lighting. In my tank i have a few guppies and 5 Red Cherry Shrimp for algae control. I made the mistake of compulsively buying a really nice fancy tail guppy that caught my eye at the LFS and did not put it in a hospital tank for observation first (a major mistake on my part). Well, 4 days later, guppies started dying, I diagnosed the disease as either some kind of fungus or bacterial infection and searched for a treatment that was safe for inverts (my cherries). I found a few sources online that said Jungle Fungus Clear Tank Buddies was safe for shrimp. I even called their 1-800 number and asked and they said it was ok so I started the treatment. Well I lost half of my guppies before the medication took effect but I am happy to report NONE of my cherries were effected. They never varried from their normal behavior. Never lost appetite or anything. So if this info helps anyone with a similar problem and wants to know safe meds, I have tested this one with no ill effects on Red Cherry Shrimp. The main ingredients are: nitrofurazone, furazolidone, and potassium dichromate. However, I did notice ONE very strange effect of the medication on my tank, the plants (and i got lots of em) seemed to stop producing as much O2 as they usually do. My plants always have O2 bubbles on their leaves and give off O2 in micro streaming bubbles. After adding Fungus Clear there were no more bubbles on the plants. I tested the O2 levels and found that they were down to around 3-5 mg/L from its normally 8-11 mg/L . So as a preventative to low O2 levels and possible higher Co2 levels from the plants not proccessing the Co2 I threw in a air stone and an air pump for the duration of the treatment (4 days). The very second I turned the light on after my first 50% water change after the 4 day treatment period, the plants were visibly giving off O2 at their previous levels and the O2 level again tested back in its normal range. Also with the medication treating both fungus and bacteria, I recommend replenishing the good bacteria with any benificial bacteria culture supplement in case the medication destroyed the benificial bacteria as most if not all antibiotics do not discriminate between good and bad bacteria.
kimco
Larva
Larva

Post by kimco »

Thanks a lot, its very informative but i dont think i will be able to locate that med over here as i've never seen them in the LFS before. anyway, i've taken the ingredients down so that i'll be able to find one with similar makeup should the need arise.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

KG