Hair Algae in Cherry Shrimp Tank

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

anacamille.tp
Egg
Egg

Hair Algae in Cherry Shrimp Tank

Post by anacamille.tp »

I need help.

I have a 7 gallon planted Cherry Shrimp tank. I have been battling hair algae in my tank for quite some time now. I will say that I have not been very consistent with any one treatment as I become discouraged when things don't work. I have tried consistent water changes (every 3 days), using Excel Flourish, a DIY Co2, less light and of course manual removal.

The Excel weakened the algae but I was concerned that if I used it too regularly it would hurt my shrimp. Any input on that?

I read in one person's response to someone else that adding salt can be really helpful. I'm wondering if anyone has any input on that.

I have another larger planted community tank and there is no hair algae problem in that so I know it's not the water. I use Nutrafin conditioner for my water.

I have been using the tooth brush strategy for removing the algae manually. I find that very successful. However, I could do it every day and take a decent amount out.

According to my research, the testing strips that I have are not very reliable. I have been using API 5 in 1 Test Strips. According to my last test, my GH was 60, KH 120, pH 7.0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0.

Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated.
Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Hair Algae in Cherry Shrimp Tank

Post by Stalker »

My respice against green algaes:
-Low-light
-Long photoperiode (10h+)
-Lot of fast growing plants, including a lot of floating ones

Having hair algae is sort of a good thing, because they love almost the same setup as plants.