This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

thief
Larva
Larva

Blue Alleni has berried!

Post by thief »

Hey guys,

Welp when I arrived from school today I spent time watching some tv. Headed upstairs and looked under the piece of paper that was hiding her.

Of coarse I was shocked.

I breed her with the male on 1/20/08 and today on 1/31/08 shes has her eggs.

Sorry about how the pics are cut off a bit the full size phot wouldn't fit here so here are some pics: Image

The eggs:

If you look closely you can see some of the clear jello stuff thats been discussed in some places that is believed to help hold the eggs to the swimmeretts:

Also to elaborate on the jelly stuff. I found that the a day before she done this she started picking at her tail cleaning herself. Then I didn't get a pic of it but in the little cave I made for her, but there is a big blob of the jelly stuff just lying there.

But anyways I'm very excited. Now the biggest part for me is Where should I put her before the babies hatch?

I still have that 2-3 gallon plastic tank. But I was hoping on getting more tanks but I guess I can just run down to my pet shop and setup 2-3 3-5 gallon tanks to try and split the babies for now.
I would guess that there is 300-400 eggs. Also this female never got mated with the Male before but she did have a infertile berry so I hope that may of gave her some experience with her eggs. :wink:

Comments and suggestion welcomed.

Thanks all. :D
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Re: Blue Alleni has berried!

Post by Newjohn »

That is one full tail.

Have they started to change color ?

I hope that you have a few extra tanks available for when they hatch.

If you can
Post new pictures as the eggs develope.

John
thief
Larva
Larva

Post by thief »

Well Today her tail has been tucked in but I am definitly going to take more photos down the line to try and show the stages of the eggs. I'm also hoping of getting my new tank setup this month. I'm going to try and get 8 tanks to fit on the rack.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

:o Wow, that is alot of tanks but looking at that egg clutch your going to need them.
thief
Larva
Larva

Post by thief »

Yeah I am going to need some tanks. Right now I'm planning on just taking down some of my tanks and just making them for inverts. Also planning to buy a custom 40gal this week.
thief
Larva
Larva

Post by thief »

Well more big news. I just got another berry. :shock: They are in the same 20L tank. There caves are right next to eachother. Only thing is now I really need to make more tanks for them. I have a 55 gallon with cichlids. I've been planning this but now it is a for sure that I must empty my cichlids tank for the babies. Well right now I have to find a store who would buy my cichlids and my other fish that I have.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

You can also post in classfieds/local adds or sites. Local FS aren't always that helpful in these cases.
thief
Larva
Larva

Post by thief »

Thanks for the replies you 2. :-D

Here is some update pics. Seriously I always think my photos are going to come out awful but I guess not. :-D

Here is current update of my blue alleni. :)

Here is another getting closer.

And heres my favorite: Image

As you may see about half the egg had black spot which I assume is the crayfish, and half is white which I believe is what the crays are feeding off of, correct?
thief
Larva
Larva

Post by thief »

Here's a nice close up:

Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Up Close and Personel.

So that is what they look like.

If I would stop buying so many new Shrimp & Crayfish, I would be able to afford a new camera.

Thank You
For the Nice Photo's

John
mikedmatthews
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by mikedmatthews »

that's pretty cool! i got pics of mine mating, but she hid from me and i never got any of her berried.

here's mine
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Mike, did the female lose any limbs during the mating process? :shock:
mikedmatthews
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by mikedmatthews »

no, she came out of it fine. i saw them spawn twice (unless it was the other female) and when i took them out they were all in good shape. i passed on the breeders to a friend of mine, i figure 4 tanks of babies is plenty to keep me occupied for a long time. little snots are pretty bad about picking each other off though, that's for sure!
thief
Larva
Larva

Re: Blue Alleni has berried! Update!!!

Post by thief »

Hi all ,

Wow these babies are amazing. Literally I can talk so much about them. I've seen them molt like 20 times already. I also witnessed some very stricking behavior. Both crayfish hatches have successfully hatched.

There tails were full to the MAX. I bet I got 600-700 babies. As of right now the babies are doing great. My biggest one is 3/4 an inch. I have only seen 4 crayfish cannablizing. But soon enough they will start gobbling eachother up.

Welp I took around 200 photo's. These are not recent ones but ones were they just hatched. I hope your Jaws will drop alittle on these pics.
The first 4 are when they are hatching, and the next 3 are pics of them about 4-5 before hatching! You can see a big change.

Here's a pic of how I kept the crayfish nice and comfortable without disterbing her too much. All you need is rock for a cave, paper, and tape. And presto you have a nice dark cave for your female.

And here's my favorite:

This pic took me forever to take. I had to get the cray on my finger without scaring it, hold the 7 pound camera with one hand while focusing. :shock:

I hope you enjoy. Also I really want to thank you guys. with out all of you it would of took forever to get at this point of the cray hobby. But this is not the end this is the begining of a long ways in this aquatic hobby.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Great shots! One moment while I pick my jaw up, :smt103 . Thank you for sharing with us especially your favorite;) Keep up the great work!