Egg
Egg

Orconectes Lancifer The shrimp crayfish

Post by KaiOnca »

:shock:

When I was reading up on my state's list of endangered inverts:

one just stuck out to me as shrimp crayfish:

Orconectes Lancifer

I was wondering if anybody on this forum has any experience with those species and if theres any informative site that could tell me where they're supposed to be in the state of Illinois.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Re: Orconectes Lancifer The shrimp crayfish

Post by Newjohn »

endangered inverts:
If this Cray is endangered in your State there may be regulations that prohibit the Collecting or even catching.

John
Guba
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Guba »

Newjohn is right! In the state of Ohio in order to keep wild fish we have to get/renew a permit. That's why I stick to tropicals. If it's endangered, your looking at possible jail time, without a permit. But your question was where, sorry I can't help, I only lived in Illinios for less than a year.
KaiOnca
Egg
Egg

Post by KaiOnca »

theres not much information as NEVER seen anything like this before :oops:

wanted to know the size it gets and how hardy those species is as I'm wondering if there should be a conservation project going on for small guys like that?
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Hi KaiOnca

A conservation project would be great.
The only problem is that The Red Tape / Paper Work That would be involved,
If your State would allow such a project to be conducted by a Individual would be amazing.

It is sad to say,
That even if some Creature is endagered, there is not alot of effort to try and help it out.
There is not alot of Sate/Federal money to do these project.

I could go on and on,
But, I hope you get the Picture.

John
Guba
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Guba »

A conservation project would be great.
The only problem is that The Red Tape / Paper Work That would be involved,
If your State would allow such a project to be conducted by a Individual would be amazing.
I hope you pursue the conservation thing, that would be great! The realist in me says good luck. A LOT of ichtheological findings/discoveries are done by home aquarists!! The big question would be whether its worth it or not?
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Just a note on keeping "wild" crayfish.

As invertebrates, the laws that apply to fish generally do not apply to crayfish unless they are a protected species (and the vast majority of species that should be protected are not). In most states you should be able to collect crayfish as fish bait, so collecting a few individuals for your aquarium would be acceptable.

But you should check with your local division of wildlife/fisheries and ask what the regulations are. I know that in my state there is essentially no protection for any species with the exception of the cave species that are protected by the cave protection laws. Chances are that it is perfectly legal to collect them, but make sure you know your local laws first.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Each state sets its own rules. In NY no crayfish is protected, In VA it is illegal to own practically any crayfish. Those who decide also changes from state to state. Could be fish & game, could be the state EPA, or the state DEC.

Inquiries should be made discretely and in general. Don't say something like "I caught this crayfish" or you may get your door kicked in by an over zealous protector of the environment. This is no joke.
Guba
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Guba »

As invertebrates, the laws that apply to fish generally do not apply to crayfish unless they are a protected species
You make a good point!!! I don't really know what the law is for Ohio, I'll have to look it up as I don't do any fishing, I just like to keep 'em (fish/inverts). My personal tendency is to shy away from "red tape", and so I ignore species from Ohio.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

If I was to contact the state to inquire, I would probably come up with a story that I wanted to catch some crayfish and keep them in an aquarium to grow my own bait for fishing. You might just have to get a fishing license which is generally very cheap and will cover you if someone asks when you are collecting them.

But again, check with YOUR local authorities for specific local regulations.

As a biologist, it is a bit harder for me because I need to have a permit to collect specimens for science and must give the state a very detailed annual report.
Guba
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Guba »

As a biologist, it is a bit harder for me because I need to have a permit to collect specimens for science and must give the state a very detailed annual report.
If you collected these for your own home aquaria couldn't you just get a fishing license?