C. Patzcuarensis babies vs. C.Shufeldtii babies ?Help?

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

shrimp_n_it
Egg
Egg

C. Patzcuarensis babies vs. C.Shufeldtii babies ?Help?

Post by shrimp_n_it »

I am new to the the crays but have been keeping different speices of shrimp for a couple of years. my Question is this: When CPO's hatch their young should they be fully developed and able to free swim? I have C. Shufeldtii babies like crazy and when they hatch they are fully developed and able to dart around to avoid anything that bothers them. Now the last two hatches I've had from my CPO(same female hatched both) I have lost them all. :x What I noticed this last time was the babies seemed as if they were not developed enough. They were unable to dart at all and seemed to have a hard time just staying upright. Is this common for CPO's? Any advice ? I would like to make this post manly on the differance between raising C.Patzcuarensis babies and C.Shufeldtii babies if any. Getting the CPOs to breed is no problem they are like a young newly wed couple on their honey moon. It is in the survival of the babies I need advice. Thank You
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: C. Patzcuarensis babies vs. C.Shufeldtii babies ?Help?

Post by badflash »

I'm not sure about the CPO, but the drawf cajuns did stay with mom for 1 molt. Many crays are larval at hatch and stay with mom for more than a month.

Maybe Newjohn will chime in as I know he's bred them. CPO's are far more difficult to breed than cajuns. Have you read the article on them in the forum articles section?
shrimp_n_it
Egg
Egg

Re: C. Patzcuarensis babies vs. C.Shufeldtii babies ?Help?

Post by shrimp_n_it »

Yes I have read it and all that I've been able to get my hands on. The breeding(mating) seems to be the easy part. Just this past week I have seen 4 different females mating and this week all 4 are berried up. It is their first time berrying for all 4 and they didn't produce to may eggs. Where the female in my avatar is twice the size and produced what looked like 20 or so eggs. That is why I am searching for help on raiseing the young. I have a planted 75g that I would like to fill with these orange beauties.