Septaria porcellana

This forum is read-only.
JK
Shrimp
Shrimp

Septaria porcellana

Post by JK »

Does anyone know a safe way of removing these from the glass?

Everytime I try to move them to another tank, they just clamp down rock solid. Great algae eaters BTW.

Thanks
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Septaria porcellana

Post by Mustafa »

JK wrote:Does anyone know a safe way of removing these from the glass?

Everytime I try to move them to another tank, they just clamp down rock solid. Great algae eaters BTW.

Thanks
Unfortunately, I don't know of any safe way to remove them from the glass. I guess you would just have to wait until they sit on something removable, such as a rock or gravel, and then remove them.
bulrush
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bulrush »

Take several squares of acylic, and place them in the bottom of the tank. When the animals move onto them, remove the squares and put where you want to.

You might also use inverted pop bottle caps, well rinsed of course, or anything else with a flat surface.
zwergkrebszuechter
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by zwergkrebszuechter »

Did you manage to breed them? I heard it were possible....
What do they eat? Only algue on your rocks and tank walls or some other food, too?
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Sorry, But what are Septaria Porcellana ?

John
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

Newjohn wrote:Sorry, But what are Septaria Porcellana ?

John
Some kind of a mollusk Clicky

Ecir
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Newjohn wrote:Sorry, But what are Septaria Porcellana ?

John
They are a freshwater limpet. Tiny & harmless as far as I can tell. I have them.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

They are not limpets and they are not tiny (limpets are literally a totally different animal). These are relatives of nerite snails with an unusual shape resembling that of sea shells. Here's a picture:

Here is a link with some pictures of several species:

http://activity.nmmba.gov.tw/Planning&R ... -SHELL.HTM

Another link:

http://www.wirbellose.de/arten.cgi?acti ... &artNo=185

The link right above has information that's over 4 years old. That's also where the "myth" that they are breedable in freshwater comes from. I personally have not heard of anyone breeding them and I don't think their breeding requirements are different from other nerites from the same distribution area, which all need saltwater for their veligers to survive.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: Septaria porcellana

Post by Neonshrimp »

Do they eat a particular type of algae or whatever grows in the tank? They can grow to and inch or more :o
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Mustafa wrote:They are not limpets and they are not tiny (limpets are literally a totally different animal). These are relatives of nerite snails with an unusual shape resembling that of sea shells. Here's a picture:
Sorry, I mis-read and answered to what I thought they were talking about without doing th research. I have tiny freshwater limpets that breed in freshwater. They don't get much bigger than 1 mm. I'm not sure they are truly limpets either, but they have that sort of shell.
zwergkrebszuechter
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Well I do not know, I never kept them. But there are people in Germany who claim to have bred them. They talk about yellow egg batches on the tank walls. That is why I wanted to know some more details. I asked then potential breeder but got no answer so far.

There are nerite snails that can be bred in tanks. Like Theodoxux species for example. I have bred those myself. The also lay cocoons, but only one of maybe 50 larvae in that cocoon develops and feeds on the others. It hatches as a small snail.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

zwergkrebszuechter wrote:Well I do not know, I never kept them. But there are people in Germany who claim to have bred them. They talk about yellow egg batches on the tank walls. That is why I wanted to know some more details. I asked then potential breeder but got no answer so far.
If this species had really been bred, you'd see it more widely spread in the hobby. The papers I have read about this species all say that their veligers need to be in saltwater. They are a migratory species, they grow up in saltwater and migrate into the rivers. There are lots of people claiming all kinds of things, but we need to see proof and be able to replicate what they are doing before giving them any credence.

There are nerite snails that can be bred in tanks. Like Theodoxux species for example. I have bred those myself. The also lay cocoons, but only one of maybe 50 larvae in that cocoon develops and feeds on the others. It hatches as a small snail.
I know. :) That's why I said: "I personally have not heard of anyone breeding them and I don't think their breeding requirements are different from other nerites from the same distribution area, which all need saltwater for their veligers to survive." The Theodoxus you are talking about are native to Europe, Western Asia (such as Turkey) and maybe even North Africa (not sure about that actually), but the Septaria are native to the Indo-Pacific region.
Last edited by Mustafa on Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

I really need ,to learn a second language.

Mustafa
Thank You for the link.

John
zwergkrebszuechter
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

I have not yet read scientific articles about them. Can you send me some? Do you have them as pdf.

Still I had my reasons to ask. Snails are often imported under a wrong name. Could have been something else. And related species breed with larvea in saline water, does not mean, the actual species does have to do alike. I did also not know that they are so closely related. Of course, if one has scientific papers at hand, it is easier to tell. :-D
JK
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JK »

Thanks for the info,
I still have two out of four that were purchased about five years ago.
They seem to thrive in a heavily planted 180 litre tank but definately no sign of any babies.

They are devils to remove, as they very rarely venture onto anything that can easily be removed. They don't seem to like soft surfaces like plants, and can only remember them being on one or two like Crinums and Echinodoras in all the time I've had them.

Fantastic algae eaters !!