Septaria porcellana

This forum is read-only.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi JK, could you please tel me if they eat most types of algae or are they particular about it? It sounds like they are safe to keep with fish tank especially if there is an overgrowth of algae.

Thanks.
zwergkrebszuechter
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by zwergkrebszuechter »

So no sign of eggs, too? Maybe you have two males...

They probably eat the algea from rocks and tank walls. Thats what my theodoxus do at least. Maybe they eat detrius, too, but thats difficult to tell. Scientific papars say, they do.
JK
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JK »

Hi neonshrimp,

They seem to search out the really hard gritty algae that's difficult to remove with a sponge. This is a real bonus as it saves you having to rub really hard and risk scratching your tank. I haven't cleaned the sides or back of my tank for years, and yet it remains perfectly respectable.

They share the tank with a large community of tetra's, danio's ,rainbows, small barbs, a couple of equally old Neritina and Caridina japonica. They seem unbothered by the shrimp activity and just go about their business.

I'm not sure if they lay eggs, there are so many Neritina eggs in the tank I'm not sure I'd know the difference.

Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for the reply. That is a great looking tank you have. I will pm for more information on them if that's alright.
JK
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JK »

Cheers neonshrimp,

I'm not sure I can give you much more on these, but by all means ask away and I'll try.

Occasionally another species is offered here, unfortunately I forget the name, but looks equally interesting.