how to upload photos

This forum is read-only.
luscombe
Egg
Egg

how to upload photos

Post by luscombe »

can anyone tell me how to upload photos on this website? I figured out how to use my olympus 700uz and the macro feature a little bit, and have what I think are some pretty cool pics and would like to show them
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

First, upload the pics to a free hosting server like photobucket.com, then link the pic to the forum thread.
luscombe
Egg
Egg

Post by luscombe »

ok, well the pictures I too I guess are to big. They are all " tiff " and are 1600 x 1200 it looks like I'm going to have to learn a whole new thing here to post photos and pay some money for these picts to host because they are all at least 5mb. I would just use different quality photos when I shoot but they just do not look as good
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Hi Luscombe, it is customary for people who download and post images to have already used some type of image manipulating software to both reduce it to an easily viewable size, for example, say 800 wide x 600 high AND to have reduced the file size itself. Otherwise, people would have trouble seeing your image due to its size (scrolling back and forth, up and down), and also, it might take forever to load, for people with slower computers/internet connection.

As for Photobucket, it is completely free, but I don't think they accept tiff's at this time. Most people use jpg's or gif's to post anyway. It might be possible your camera came with software that can convert your tiff files to jpg; you could check. All software are different, but I can think of three possible options to convert tiff files into another:

1.) While your tiff image is open in your program (be it Photoshop or whatever), you would choose "save as," at which time it would give you an option to save as a particular kind of file (like jpg).

2.) Sometimes the ability to convert your file is in the menu "export file as," at which point, you choose export as "jpg," "gif" or whatever, to save it in that format.

3.) Another way would be if your program has a menu that says "save for web" (that, I think, usually saves as gif, at least in my Photoshop program it does).

I'm not familiar with your camera and don't know what program you have, so this is all the info I can offer.

GB
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

You could get irfanview it's freeware and very good for a simple resizing job. It can open and convert just about any type of image. You could even use it to create 800x600 jpg copies of a whole folder of images.