Plant Weight

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

stuhrike
Egg
Egg

Plant Weight

Post by stuhrike »

I saw these at petco the other day...and my giant anubias is too heavy for my gravel (red sea's flora base) -__- so I thought about using plant weights to help out but I realized that this might pose a small problem...I know that these weights are some form of steel, I assume stainless steel...but would the steel somehow degrade the water through releasing metals or something of that sort since shrimp are apparently more reactive to metals?

badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I'm pretty sure those weights are a zinc alloy. I've been using them for a few months and have seen nothing adverse.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I always tie my anubias to a rock or piece of driftwood. Eventually, its roots will attach themselves to it.
stuhrike
Egg
Egg

Post by stuhrike »

all righty :) thanks guys :) didn't want to endanger my shrimp :)
DatDamWuf
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by DatDamWuf »

I'm not sure what you bought. I use a product called "Plant Sinkers" by Blue Ribbon. they are non toxic. I love java fern attached to my bogwood but it's awful to take it out of the tank to attach a new specimen so I put a weight on them and drop them in the bogwood hole I want them to grow in. Sometimes I just lay the weight over them so I can easily remove it once the plant attaches on it's own.

Works pretty well so far. Most LFS have them but they usually aren't on the shelf for some reason, ask! The big petstores don't carry them (like Petsmart) Before I found these I'd ask my LFS if I could scavenge plant weights from their tanks and they didn't mind.