advice to travel with shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

advice to travel with shrimp

Post by zapisto »

Hi,

I am in texas rigth now, Austin exactly.
as usual when i travel around the world , my favorite distraction after hard day work is to visit petshop :).
today i visit a shop in austin and see huge ghost shrimp (of course sell as food :twisted: ) and a lot of them carrie eggs.
i was already planning have a tank with ghost to try breed them, but never found nice like that and at this price (100 for 15$)

well i am travel back to home end of this week and i am planning to get 100 of them or less depend on advice.

my question is what is the best way to travel (by plane) with theese guy ?
i will use American airlines and i know they are Ok with shrimp.
how the custom at the airport will handle that ?

i can also Send them to my POBOX close to border and get them by car but the week-end scrare me a bit

any comment or advice will be good for me.
cyndayco
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by cyndayco »

It depends on how strict your customs people are. Do they search every inch of your luggage?

I find that airlines are far more strict with handcarried items than checked-in baggage. So what I usually do is find a small styropore box, put the shrimp (in bag, of course) in my check-in luggage. The styropore (although a small Coleman ice chest will do, too) helps protect the shrimp from getting squished and it provides insulation, too. Then I dump a load of clothes on it; the dirtier and more embarrassing, the better.

Do I declare the critters at customs? Of course not. But that's just me. :twisted:
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

Just For Info if anyone want to know.
i made it with no problem

i Pack shrimp and fish well like when i want ship.
put them in styro box
close everting with tape
rith my name and write LIVE animal on all the side.

i check-in the box with AA and tell them it was live tropical fish in the box.
they mark it in the box again and put a special tape RED on it.

checkin was made a 9AM

at montreal airport i declare LIve topical fish at the custom check and of course got inspected as expected.
No problem there , they check the box and make sure it is not commercial and after a very pleasant discussion with the custom about my hobby (found most of them have tank :) ) i leave airpot aroung 5 PM
all shrimp make is well and fish also.

so no need to hide anything for canada , if your are under the exemption limit who is 200$ i think

if this info is usefull for somebody , i am happy