another page on CRS, including grading standards

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

seansd
Egg
Egg

another page on CRS, including grading standards

Post by seansd »

Just came across this article on CRS linked off of wikipedia. At the end of the article is diagram of the grading standards.

http://www.fishyou.com/shrimp-crs.php
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

nice
pics are clear
thanks
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the link. Although it has nice pictures about grading crystal reds, be careful about the rest of the information in there, though.

The following section (among some others) is complete bogus:
pH: 6.2 to 7.2

Moderate alkaline pH is good for shrimps because invertebrate shells are alkaline in nature. Acidity is detrimental to shrimp shells (same for crabs and snails) as it reacts with its alkaline nature, causing microscopic pits. These pits can act as better platforms for micro insects to perch on. In an acidic tank, shrimp shells are less shiny because of these micro pittings, making it more like a matt surface. Also, you may see your shrimps trying to brush off microscopic insects on its body.

However, if your water condition is less than perfect, it will be better to have a moderate to low pH because at low pH, nitrogenous waste is less toxic.

This is why, because of different pollution factor in different tanks, some people report best crs behavior when kept at low pH while others notice the opposite. Do not try increasing your pH if you are unsure of your water quality. For fragile species like crs, the result can be fatal.

Water changes: 30% weekly with well aerated,dechlorinated and dechloraminated water. If pH of your new water is varies from your tank water, introduce it to tank slowly using a scoop.
This person first contradicts himself/herself by giving a ph range that is mostly in the acidic range and then saying that acidic water is not good for these shrimp. :roll: The rest of the passage is all made up and/or conjecture (=guessing), including the references to "pits" and "insects" on the shrimp. :smt120

This person obviously has no idea about the natural habitats of the bee shrimp (from which the crystal reds were developed) and just makes up some water parameter advice.

So...people...please, please be careful about what you are reading out there. There are tons of people out there that just like to spread myths and half-truths for one reason or another (maybe they feel important that way?). Take everything that comes from dubious sources with grain of salt. Things like Wikipedia should also be enjoyed in moderation and with a few pounds of salt as literally ANYONE can go in there and write whatever he/she wants under a given topic. That's hardly reliable information.

There were a lot more people spreading myths and half-baked "information" before I started this website and, thank god, they have dwindled in numbers. However, there are still quite a few around. So, just be careful about what you believe.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

Thanks mustafa
i did not read the article yet but found the pics really nice , that's what was very interesting (for me) in this link.
like everything on the net, i usually do my own research ......
on the net you have things you can take and other you have to leave alone.
shrimping
Larva
Larva

Re: another page on CRS, including grading standards

Post by shrimping »

seansd wrote:At the end of the article is diagram of the grading standards.

http://www.fishyou.com/shrimp-crs.php
I don't see any diagram??

edit: Ok I see the diagram now, nice find! :smt023
edinjapan
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by edinjapan »

here are some pages from the MSN Japan auction site with a lot of photos of the shrimp. These are informative despite being in Japanese as it allows you to see what grades and varieties are currently available in Japan and Asia.

http://auction.msn.co.jp/dap/sv/list1/p ... 01_Hsrm_IY
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Thanks for those Japanese auction links. Great to see these photos.

You can get some rudimentary translation using babelfish.
edinjapan
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by edinjapan »

YuccaPatrol wrote:Thanks for those Japanese auction links. Great to see these photos.

Don't need to use Babelfish as I read Kanji. most of the people on the auction site won't ship overseas, it's a pity as there are a lot of nice shrimp available in Japan.
shrimping
Larva
Larva

Post by shrimping »

edinjapan wrote:
YuccaPatrol wrote:Thanks for those Japanese auction links. Great to see these photos.

Don't need to use Babelfish as I read Kanji. most of the people on the auction site won't ship overseas, it's a pity as there are a lot of nice shrimp available in Japan.
Are you in Tokyo?
edinjapan
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by edinjapan »

shrimping wrote:
edinjapan wrote:

Are you in Tokyo?
Yes, I am.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

shrimping wrote: Are you in Tokyo?
i think yes :)
edinjapan
Shrimp
DatDamWuf
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by DatDamWuf »

Mustafa, I hope you or someone else as knowledgeable will correct the wikipedia info! the folks that host it know things are sometimes put there that are wrong and are good about allowing corrections. I'm sure none of them have a clue about shrimp!
Lady Friesian
Larva
Larva

Post by Lady Friesian »

It's really easy to fix Wikipedia...I had to do it after my wierd friends put some complete nonsense in there as a joke.
shrimping
Larva
Larva

Post by shrimping »

edinjapan wrote:
Yes, I am.
Wow that's really cool! Any possibility of helping us ship some shrimps? :P
edinjapan
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by edinjapan »

shrimping wrote:
edinjapan wrote:
Yes, I am.
Wow that's really cool! Any possibility of helping us ship some shrimps? :P
I could. First look at the links I provided and tell me what interests you in a PM. If we start wheeling and dealing in public the Big Boss will send some Yaks after you.