Shrimp id please

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

jay
Egg
Egg

Shrimp id please

Post by jay »

Are these guys ghost shrimps or the macrobrachium kind of shrimp??

AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

I'd say ghost shrimp.
fish newb
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by fish newb »

yeah deffinatly ghost. green eggs also are a good hint.

-=- fish newb -=-
gr81
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by gr81 »

Ghost shrimp is common (bussines) name for many macrobrachium species.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

These look to be Palaemonetes paludosus, not a macrobrachium at all. Cools shrimp though, just under appreciated.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

gr81 is from Europe, where Macrobrachium lanchesteri is sold as ghost or glass shrimp. Gr81, keep in mind that this forum is located in the US and most members are from the US, so when people talk about "ghost/glass shrimp" it's usually the one native to the US, Palaemonetes paludosus.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Mustafa,
Besides the fact that he is not in the US, what indications from these pictures do you have that they are Macrobrachium and not Palaemonetes?
These sure look like the ones I have, although the pics aren't all that clear. I'd like to try and figure any key differences, like you have with Bee vs. Bumblebees.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I didn't say that they are Macrobrachium lanchesteri. ;) I only wanted to clarify gr81's confusion about glass/ghost shrimp = Macrobrachium (which is not true). The shrimp on the above pictures are Palaemonetes paludosus for sure, so we are all agreeing on this. :)

I'll try to post some pictures of Macrobrachium lanchesteri to show the differences. I don't have them right now, but used to have them and took some pictures. I'll have to see if they are of good enough quality to warrant posting. I'll provide more information on the differences between P. paludosus and M. lanchesteri once the pictures (or even a species description on the shrimp varieties page) are up. It's actually fairly simple to distinguish them.