A few Red Cherry Shrimp/Water parameter questions

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

raptor83
Larva
Larva

A few Red Cherry Shrimp/Water parameter questions

Post by raptor83 »

Hi everyone, sorry if these questions have been asked before - I did a search but didnt come up with anything.

I bought six Red Cherry Shrimp about six weeks ago. They were all juveniles when I bought them (about 1-2cm) but seem to have grown and coloured up nicely in that time :) I have them in a shrimp only tank (well there are some pond snails and MTS in there aswell) as I was hoping they would breed. I had four females and two males - but as yet there is still no sign of any eggs.

-How long is it before I can expect/hope to see eggs? (Given that they were juveniles six weeks ago)
-When they do produce eggs does the 'saddle' on the females disappear, or stay where it is?

Also, a few days ago one of the females moulted but seemed very weak afterwards. Within a few hours she had passed on :( I have no idea what caused it and have gone though everything in Mustafa's article 'why are my shrimp dying' but still have no clue. I hadnt even touched the tank for the week preceeding, and all the other shrimp seem to be doing fine. In fact two others have moulted since then and have been absolutely fine. I was thinking that there may have been a lack of calcium in the water - giving the shrimp difficulty moulting? I know they are 'supposed' to get enough calcium from their food - but I cant think of any other reasons why she would have died

-Does anyone have any ideas as to why the shrimp may have died so soon after a moult?

Also my water is quite 'soft' - so would it be safe for me to add either/both some 'florida crushed coral' or some cuttlefish bone to help increase hardness/calcium levels? Or could I cause a Ph crash/spike by doing so?
(Please correct me if I have misunderstood what these things do, as I am still learning about water parameters)

Does anyone have any breeding advice? (changing temperatures, different foods, etc) Or am I just expecting too much too soon?

Thanks in advance :)
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

You should read over the information on the "shrimp Varieties page" as you have missed some important things. Also read the articles on keeping shrimp and "why are my shrimp dying"

These shrimp need hard basic water, so for sure put in some coral. You should also get some R/O right or Electro-right to add to your water for a quick fix. You probably should use this on each water change. Check for nitrates & phosphates as these will prevent egg production and kill shrimp at higher levels.

Your shrimp are not happy or there would be saddles by now. The saddles dissapear when the eggs move to the swimmerlets. The saddle will re-appear as the eggs get ready to hatch. In ideal conditions the cycle will repeat about a week after the last hatch.
raptor83
Larva
Larva

Post by raptor83 »

Hi Badflash,
Thanks for your advice. I have read all the articles you mentioned thanks, although I must admit that I had forgotten that Red Cherry Shrimp prefer hard water. Originally I was told by my water company that my water was 'hard' (before I purchased the shrimp) but I recently took it to a LFS to be tested and discovered it was actually quite soft.

The shrimp do all have saddles (so I guess that means there happy) - they have had them for since the first week I got them - they just havent had any eggs yet. I think it probably is the softness of the water which is stopping them producing eggs. Apart from that they seem top be just fine. They are a nice red colour and are eating just fine. They dont swim about as much as I have heard they can do when they are unhappy with the water conditions. They only thing I have noticed them do is that occasionally they 'wave' their pleopods around - im not sure if this is normal shrimp behaviour or not though?

I will get some crushed coral to increase hardness. Is there any way crushed coral could cause any harm at all? (eg. ph crash, etc) Also, what is the best way to place it in the tank? (there isnt any space in the filter to put it)

Lastly, would I be alright to add a small piece of broken cuttlefish bone aswell, or would you advise against it? I have also heard of calcium supplements that can be added to the water (I think they are meant for snails but I guess they would be just as good for shrimp too) would this be any good?

Thanks again :)
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Rinse the coral before adding. Just don't add too much. Coral can buffer the water way too basic. Just the opposite of a crash. Calcium additives genraly are calcium gluconate. The pet store variety is way over priced. Go you your local health food store and get a can of crystal calcium. This is calcium gluconate. 1/4 tsp is plenty for a 10 gallon tank.

No problem with cuttlefish bone. I use it. My snails love it and I see the shrimp on it, but I think they are just eating the goey stuff that grows on it.

Get the R/O right. It has the complete set of minerals, not just calcium.
tapmxt1
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by tapmxt1 »

Cherry red shrimps like hard water. My aged tape water has the following numbers:

PH: about 7.2 (usually 7.2 but sometimes 7.4),
KH: 1-2
GH: 14-20+

My cherry red shrimps do very well in this water. From my record, I had seem the new born baby shrimps got mature in 6-7 weeks (I moved new born babies to newly setup tanks. I had observed the first pregnant female shown up in about 6 and half weeks).
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

raptor83 wrote: The shrimp do all have saddles (so I guess that means there happy) - they have had them for since the first week I got them - they just havent had any eggs yet. I think it probably is the softness of the water which is stopping them producing eggs.
All the saddles mean is that the eggs are in production, so patience is a virtue, I know my cherries seemed to take forever to drop the eggs down but now I have 3 of my 4 females carrying eggs. And correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's about 3 weeks to hatch once they drop to the spinerettes.

Ecir
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Ecir

My RCS average between 3 and 4 weeks to hatch, After they are deposited on the swimletts.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Hatch time is temperature dependent. 3-4 weeks is at 78 degrees.