Ghost experiment

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Ghost experiment

Post by Ecir »

Hi Everyone,

I've read about other peoples experience with the ghost babies and I don't have much experience or all that home grown fun stuff like green water and rotifiers but I thought I'd take a swing at the whole larva baby game.

What I did was put my big ghost into one of those floating fish hatcheries with some plants(thanks to the brilliant suggestion of my more aquatically inclined GF) when she was about to drop and managed to get about 20 larvas floating about in there.

It's been about 2 days and they're still going strong and for food I've been feeding them the dust out of the sinking food pellet container and I guess they're bumping into enough to survive. I've also put in some pond snails(I think that's what they are, showed up with a plant and I have lots of them)in to help keep they're little floating eco-system cleaner.

I'll post an update later to say how many became shrimp.

Ecir
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Please update. As I was interested in their breeding process.

Thanks.
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

Unfortunatly the experiment was a faliure, althought not completely. The biggest problem I has with the tiny floater egg holder was even micro amounts of food spoiled the water too quickly. It wasn't until the second day they were in there that I thought to add the snails for cleanup and by then it might have been too late.

When I did a water change on the tank it's floating in I tried to pour off some of the water and change it up a bit but cleaning the bottom of the dish would have been a help but I wasn't sure how to do it without losing my floaters.

On the fifth day when I started having them die off I figured they would be better off in the tank with better water quality and vying for survival of the fittest.

About a week has past and if I spend some time scanning I can find two ghost babies, there might be more hiding but I can only ever find at most two at a time.

Ecir
krazy
Egg
Egg

Post by krazy »

Sorry to hear that. Try again in a few weeks?
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

By the time they're holding again I might have a new idea, but the floaty box just won't cut it I don't think. For now I'm going to let nature take its course and see how many more survive.