Hornwort

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Hornwort

Post by badflash »

I found Hornwort growing in the local creek. Looks like really nice stuff. Anyone tried growing native NYS hornwort in an aquarium?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Never tried it with hornwort, but it should be fine as all the hornwort in the US is the same species anyway. It's a very adaptable plant. The only thing I don't like about hornwort is that after a while your tank is filled with its thin "leaves" or bits and pieces of the plant, as the plant tends to lose its leaves after a while; especially in the lower parts of the plant. That's why I prefer Najas. Grows just as fast and doesn't create a mess.
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Terran »

Mustafa wrote:Never tried it with hornwort, but it should be fine as all the hornwort in the US is the same species anyway. It's a very adaptable plant. The only thing I don't like about hornwort is that after a while your tank is filled with its thin "leaves" or bits and pieces of the plant, as the plant tends to lose its leaves after a while; especially in the lower parts of the plant. That's why I prefer Najas. Grows just as fast and doesn't create a mess.
\

*sighs*

The more you talk about Najas makes me want to vist my grandparents who live in florida.....

The whole issue of dropping leaves and sections of rotting/deadplants fustrates me with my Egeria and my other undentified plants....

Ideal situation for me is as little maintenance as possible....lol...
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Najas grows over most of the east coast, so you just need to look. I know it is listed as "native to Florida" but it does grow wild even in NYS as the DEC website here lists it and locations it has been found.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I agree that hornwort is messy in aquariums. It is good for soaking up nitrogen wastes though.

I'd suggest anachris over hornwort since it is a bit sturdier and easier to deal with.
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

I had loads of hornwort but it was just too messy....same goes for cabomba....I had to get rid of that too.

How I wish they had najas grass in the UK.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

If you can't collect najas grass from the wild, it's easily available from online reatilers. Not a particularly expensive plant, from what I've seen.