java moss

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

nemesis1337
Larva
Larva

java moss

Post by nemesis1337 »

I posted earlier about having java moss pulling out eggs but really was hair algae. now i'm sick of the hair algae and want to get rid of it meaning i'll have to take the java moss up. question is, the java moss accounts for about 2/5 of the tank and if i take it out i will only have java fern and some stargrass left in the tank. not much at all. will i expect a spontaneous increase in nitrates, ammonia etc if i were to take out the java moss? and having little plants remaining, is that sufficient in a cherry shrimp tank? i want to be as cautious as possible w/o doing dmg to the shrimps. any tips would be much appreciated!
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

If you are,'t feeding a lot, they should be fine. Just keep up with your water changes.

Put the java moss in total darkness for 10 days. You've nothing to love, and the string algae may just go away.
nemesis1337
Larva
Larva

Post by nemesis1337 »

thanks for the suggestion badflash. i was also considering buying an american flagfish just for the sole destruction of hair algae...man i hate hair algae so much :twisted:
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

A true Siamese Algae eater will do a better job, but they are hard to find. LFS sell flying foxes and chinese algae eaters as these. The down side is that they eat baby shrimp, and grow rapidly to 6"+. As with most algae eaters, they only eat this stuff when nothing else is available.

Personally, I'd get some amanos and only feed the tank sparingly once a week.
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Terran »

When I dont feed my Cambarellus shufeldtii they devour hair/string algae like its their job...
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Terran wrote:When I dont feed my Cambarellus shufeldtii they devour hair/string algae like its their job...
It *is* their job. :wink: I haven't come across any type of hair/string algae that they don't eat. I actually feed them additionally with hair algae. I have a feeling that hair algae is part of their natural diet in the wild.