My presentation (Matteo from Italy)

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Matteino^82
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by Matteino^82 »

ye i understand...but you will know that many plants need to be fertilized....there are few plants who doesnt need fert, like anubias,moss and other (few)...
It is impossible to grow plants like hemiantus callistrichoides, some red plants or other plants without fertilization,light and c02...
Do you agree???

My project for this new thank was to have:
-hemiantus callitrichoides
-hygrophila polisperama rosanervig
-hemiantus micrantemoides
-didiplis diandra
who doesnt grow without fertilization...or grow badly

In my actual little tank (30 liter) i dont use fert but only because i dont have C02 and i didn't have the time to fertilize correctly...
bye an thank you so much!

matteo

Ah, i forgot...i always use bioconditioner...
Kenshin
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Kenshin »

I do not agree with the CO2 theory. I have bred Red Cherry shrimps and Green shrimps in a planted tank with CO2 injection. And these 2 types of shrimps are of a higher pH living condition (above 7.0). As long as you provide enough oxygen into the tank as well and as long as you have a lot of plants to take up the CO2 (so the extra CO2 do not become carbonic acid) along with high lighting, one should not have a problem with CO2. Even if there is extra CO2 to be converted into carbonic acid, this acid is a very weak acid, especially when dissolved in water (however pure carbonic acid is very acidic) will be converted back into CO2 (reversible chemical reaction) However, fertilizer is not recommended though. Please check your private message Matteino^82 for I have answered your inquiry in detail. :-D
Matteino^82
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by Matteino^82 »

ok ken..:) i'll read and reply in few minutes!!!!
:)
bye
theshrimp_123
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by theshrimp_123 »

So wait now I'm confused. Is CO2 bad for shrimp too? And I thought you could use small amounts of fertilizers without affecting shrimp?
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

CO2 will lower the pH, if you have shrimp that prefer higher pH then there will be problems. Fertilizers are not good for the health of shrimp but if used in low doses the effects are lower and delayed.
Matteino^82
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by Matteino^82 »

i have one question for you...This thing that ferts are dangerous for shrimp, is validated elsewhere??(i.e. publication,journals ecc??)...
can you post a validated link?
I say this because in italy nobody know this kind of problem..Maybe in italy we are back to other country regarding shrimps...

Everithing overdosed is dangerous:
-if you overdose food
-if you overdose CO2
-if you overdose heat
-if you overdose ferts

I think that each good quality fert can be used,moderatly, in every tank..no???

ciao!
What is dangerous for shrimp that is contained in ferts?COpper?Iron?
bye!!
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I see that you are passionate about this subject :) If the ferts work for you then you may have a balanced tank, good for you. If you want to post the literature that says fertilizers are good for shrimp then I will read it but will still not choose to use them. Like you said too much of anything can be bad for the shrimp, which includes chemicals :wink: Best wishes with your new tank and please keep us updated.
Matteino^82
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by Matteino^82 »

i wont to appare like "who fuc#+ing italian you are!":)))....I won't be, i don't know how to explain, a "bad person":))
You know, probably better than me, that in acquariology many things are subjective and each tank is a world apart...no??

Well...anycase when the tank will be ready i sure will post the photo...don't worry...FOr me it's important this new forum!in these days i will read all the 38 pages post!!!:))))
thank you
Dusko
Larva
Larva

Post by Dusko »

Matteino^82 wrote: ...I cannot have a very good looking tank if i want to have shrimp...its right?
bye!!1
Of course you can have a nicely aquascaped tank and shrimp in it. The fertilisation is necessary (IMO) only if you grow too many fast growing plants. Low light low tech planted tanks do not necessary need CO2 and fertilisation. The trick is in planting slow to medium growing plants like Hygro Rosanervig, Java Ferns and Java Moss.
Rooting plants should be planted in this case only where aquarium soil is layered under a 5cm gravel, so it doesn't pollute the water.
IMO, in shrimp planted tanks, gravel should not be vacuumed since that mulm will fertilise plants.

Here is my new shrimp tank, of course it has to mature a bit before it gets its full beauty :P :wink:

More info about low light low tech planted tanks with Steve Hampton
http://www.aquariaplants.com/lowlighttank.htm

Kind regards, Dusko
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Wow, I like your tank especially the rocks you added. I also see the leaves you have for them to snack on :) Thanks for the information on the plants and substrate. Please post an update when your shrimp are in their new home :D
Dusko
Larva
Larva

Post by Dusko »

Hi Neonshrimp, thanks.
If you look closely, you will be able to see some small red creatures in front of the tank beside the withered oak leaves :D

They are so cute.

Regards, Dusko