Red shrimp behavior

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Cicci
Egg
Egg

Red shrimp behavior

Post by Cicci »

I bought 5 red cherry yesterday. One of them are mostly lying on its back but it´s mowing the legs. Is it going to die or is it a normal behavior?

Sorry about the english Iám from Sweden and not the best in english :oops:
gabs
Larva
Larva

Post by gabs »

Same thing happened to two of my cherry shrimps soon after buying them. At that time I was using only RO water without adding Seachem Equilibrium. Kh ang Gh readings were both almost 0. One of the shimps died as if while trying to 'take off' the exo-skeleton.

Now I add Seachem Equilibrium and Alkaline Buffer and have a GH 4 and Kh 3 in my shrimp tank. Cherry shrimps share the tank with CRS and both seem to be thriving.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hello Cicci, welcome to the discussion forum. Most of the time it is not a good sign when shrimp are on their back for any long amount of time. The dwarf/algae eating shrimp usually die rather than recover when they show an opaque/whitish color or when they behave abnornally and start to slow down. But there are times when the shrimp can be saved if you catch it on time. I would recommend doing a partial water change and see how they respond. If this works keep doing more frequent changes until they have recovered.

Sometimes it is just the stress of the shrimp being shipped to the pet store and/or to your home but other times it is the condition of there current home. I hope you are able to save the shrimp, please keep us informed.

Thanks.
Cicci
Egg
Egg

Post by Cicci »

The one who`s lying on its back died :( But the other ones are very fine. Are going to find some oakleaves to put in.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Sorry to hear about your shrimp :( The oak leaves will make the tank environment much better for the shrimp. I am going to try maple leaves myself, I hear it works well too. Hope the rest of your shrimp do well :)
bulrush
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bulrush »

Oak leaves will make the water more acidic, and this will dissolve their shells. Why do you add oak leaves?
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi bulrush, the article in the articles section "How to keep dwarf shrimp -- An Introduction" explains the benefits.
Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Jackie »

bulrush wrote:Oak leaves will make the water more acidic, and this will dissolve their shells. Why do you add oak leaves?
I've kept shrimp in water of pH as low as 6. I didn't see any shells dissolve :)

BTW - adler leaves are great too. I've never used maple. Oak - yes. Also sea almond leaves.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi Jackie, of the leaves you mentioned have you seen a big difference in one leaf being better than another or have they all been good for your tank?

Thanks.
Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Jackie »

Neonshrimp wrote:Hi Jackie, of the leaves you mentioned have you seen a big difference in one leaf being better than another or have they all been good for your tank?
Not really any big difference. The sea almond leaves give the water a nice, greenish-gold color - the tank looks interesting. They have anitbacterial properties and help fight cyanobacteria.

The prettiest as tank decoration are adler leaves. I once used a couple of yellow ones (not dried up) - it looked really great :)

All: oak, adler and sea almond lower the pH, but not dramatically. They are all consumed by shrimp (it depends on the species), but mostly at times I don't give them anything else to eat. The leaves don't seem to be their favorite food. Crays seem to think different, my C. destructors ADORED oak leaves and I could hardly manage to keep a satisfactory amount in the crayfish tank :)
Cicci
Egg
Egg

Post by Cicci »

I bought 7 more. They are all well and molting(hope that means when they have new shell). They are eating well and seems happy so that means i am happy :)
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi Cicci,

It is very good to hear that you have new and healthy shrimp. Molting does mean they have a new shell and that they are growing if you have juveniles or baby shrimp. Enjoy your shrimp and please keep us updated.

Thanks.
Cicci
Egg
Egg

Post by Cicci »

Thank you Neonshrimp for you answer and your happy style. You really making this forum nice and interresting :)