Need some Cherry Shrimp guidance

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

LunarFlame
Egg
Egg

Need some Cherry Shrimp guidance

Post by LunarFlame »

So, I am diving in to my first adventure with freshwater shrimp. I recently set up a 10g tank (I also have a 29g), and I just ordered 7 Cherry Shrimp.

I wanted to know if these guys are good at eating algae? Anything important I should know about the little guys to keep them healthy and happy?
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Hi LunarFlame
And welcome

Since this is your first post.
The best advise I can give you.
Is, first read the Articles section of this Forum.

There is alot of good information there.
It should answer alot of your questions.

If not , then use the Search section , of this Forum.

And then, if you still have questions, then start another thread.

Again welcome to this Forum.
Once you start in the Shrimp Hobby
You just can not stop

John
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Welcome as well! Yes, they are good algae eaters, but not super. If you have them for that purpose alone you'll be dissapointed or like me, addicted. They are worth keeping in their own right.

If you have a load of algae you may not be able to keep them alive. Most of the time algae is caused by an excess of nitrates & phosphates. These chemicals harm the shrimp if more than about 5 PPM (not much at all). Shrimp need much higher water quality than fish, so doing regular 25-50% weekly water changes needs to be a religion, or you'll have funerals.

That being said, read the articles and plan accordingly. You'll find the people here very helpfull if you do a little homework first. The inhabitants here can get a little agressive if they smell laziness. :)
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Welcome LunarFlame :) This is a great site to learn and share eachother's experiences. So after you have looked around the sites and learned more about the shrimps you are interested in we will be happy to answer the questions you have. Enjoy this site :wink: .
bulrush
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bulrush »

My experience: RCS are not very good algae eaters but I hear amanos are. Algae is about last on their list of favorite foods. So they will eat the softer algae that tends to grow on your glass, if you starve them. They won't touch black beard algae, or hair algae.

BTW, I breed RCS as a hobby and sell them. I have 2 10g tanks with 50+ shrimp in each and I still have algae here and there in the tanks. But the amount is nothing to worry about. I suspect they are eating the microscopic critters that live between the algae when you see them picking at the tank glass.