New Caridina species

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Lady Friesian
Larva
Larva

New Caridina species

Post by Lady Friesian »

Here's an article about a new Caridina species that lives in association with freshwater sponges.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... ?news=1072

Isn't it lovely? It sounds like they breed in freshwater based on the clutch size.

[Admin: Changed "Caridinia" to the proper name "Caridina" in both title and message body to allow this thread to come up in future searches]
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

That is a very interesting looking Shrimp.

The only thing, If we wanted to Raise these Shrimp, we would have to learn how to raise Fresh water Sponges.

This is up your Alley YuccaPatrol.

Thank You
For Giving Us The Link

John
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Yes the striped pattern of Caridina spongicola is striking :o . Thanks for sharing.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I guess it's official now. We've been talking about the incredibly colored atyid shrimp species from sulawesi for probably at least 1.5 years now...this is one of many species from that lake. Perform a search on "sulawesi" in this forum to find the threads.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Mustafa

Thank You for the Sulawesi Post's.

Those are some amazing looking ,Freshwater Shrimp.

Maybe someday, we will have them in the Hobby.

John
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Let's hope some day soon! Sooner or later they will enter the hobby just like the CRS and some of the specimen Mustafa offers.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

I doubt it would be necessary, probably not really possible, to cultivate the sponges they are associated with in an aquarium. Clownfish are frequently kept in aquariums, and rarely with the particular species of anemone they live with in the wild.
If they primarily feed on diatoms, it may be difficult to find a suitable dietary substitute, depending on how specific their dietary specialization actually is.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

ToddnBecka wrote:I doubt it would be necessary, probably not really possible, to cultivate the sponges they are associated with in an aquarium. Clownfish are frequently kept in aquariums, and rarely with the particular species of anemone they live with in the wild.
If they primarily feed on diatoms, it may be difficult to find a suitable dietary substitute, depending on how specific their dietary specialization actually is.
I agree that sponges would not be necessary for rearing them. As for diatoms, they form a major part of any dwarf shrimp's natural diet, along with other organisms forming the omnipresent biofilm. So, they should not be hard to feed either, as they would probably eat anything any other dwarf shrimp would eat. The hard part is getting them.... BUT...I hope that no unscrupelous exporters get a hold of them and deplete their populations. They are endemic and not all that numerous after all. Only experienced breeders, who have bred pretty much everything else out there, should try their hands at such rare animals to establish captive populations that could form the basis for a wider distribution of these shrimp in the hobby later on...

Hmmm....I might just have to mount an expedition to sulawesi in the next few years....
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

I hope that no unscrupelous exporters get a hold of them and deplete their populations.
Hmmm....I might just have to mount an expedition to sulawesi in the next few years....
What about unscrupulous importers? :shock: :twisted: :lol:
Put me on the list of unscrupulous customers :!: :-D
zwergkrebszuechter
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by zwergkrebszuechter »

Do you really think it is possible to exterminate a population of shrimp in a whole lake, by just catching them? I have my doubts. I tI find it difficult enough only cleaning a 50l tank and trying to catch all shrimp. Some are always left.
I think the bigger problem might be that their habitats stay intact....

There are a lot of nice species down there. I really hope that they will enter the hobby sooner or later. One of that scientists is from Germany, but she did never bring live shrimp to Germany.
wklotz
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by wklotz »

Hi folks!

An other nice shrimp from Sulawesi:

Just a little bit bigger than the new Caridina spengicola.
It´s a medium sized undiscribed Macrobrachium species.
Descriptions of two other new Caridina species are in preparation.

Cheers
Werner
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

Wow, stunning shrimp! I want one of those now! :-D

-John (AKA: The Puffer Ninja)
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Mustafa

Is there a chance, since the Sponges are also a new species.

That they have Diatoms/biofilm that only grow on these sponges.
And the Shrimp Need this to survive ?

John
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I'm not aware of any diatoms that only grow on sponges, so I'm pretty sure that the diatoms are your usual "garden variety" type.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Since I work with freshwater sponges (MUCH less interesting than shrimp), this is very interesting to me.

If you think keeping odd species of shrimp alive can be difficult, try growing freshwater sponges :evil: As far as I know, nobody has grown sponges from gemmules and had them live more than about 2 weeks.

I would say that this species is probably best left in the wild, especially since it most likely REQUIRES its sponge symbiont in order to thrive.

Gorgeous shrimp though! :-D

I can share my recipe for a sponge growth media, but it requires about $500 in odd minerals and chemicals. The next best thing is Evian spring water because it has most of the mineral components that the sponges need for growth, but doing water changes with Evian is going to add up real fast! :lol: :lol: :lol: