Temperature

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

nemesis1337
Larva
Larva

Temperature

Post by nemesis1337 »

Just last saturday I went to my LFS to pick up a jager because my tronic stopped working. So I installed this heater thinking it is reliable and it was pretty stable for the first 12 hours of the day. But when I got home my tank was a boiling 32C(90F). I'm infuriated at the moment but I would also like to share my observations while my memory is still fresh. The tank houses red cherry shrimps and at the moment they are all hiding in the shade. I'm assuming this is from natural instincts them believing the high heat is from the light source. There is very little movement and all of them are still, but no casualties. Their inner meat is not white (as some will be when they are sick). I've already done a 10% water change and the temperature did not move a bit but some shrimps are being active again, I'm assuming it is the extra oxygen going into the tank. This really sucks. So hopefully I'll tell the story to the LFS tomorrow and get it exchanged for another jager since this one has burnt marks internally already.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I use "titanium" heater. Very reliable with an external controller and separate temperature sensor. Good for fresh & salt. Cheap too. 100W for $20, 400w for $25.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

visitherm stealth heaters have been good to me.

My trick for getting some equipment cheap is to print the online price from the big chain store and the manager will price-match. I often save 50% or more and don't have to pay for shipping.

Your story makes me think that I will test any new heaters before use.
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

I had a via-aqua titantium heater, and it just plain stopped working after 9 months of operation :cry: I was pretty bummed out.

Hmm, so your Jager broke eh? So sorry to hear that. Although, there is a joke behind that for me, because one of my friends from another forums name is Jager lol, although he claims he picked that name for himself before the heater. Its always funny to tell him "My Jager broke" lol

Anyway, it sounds like you are doing a good job, and I hope everyone pulls through for you :-)

-John (AKA: The Puffer Ninja)
bulrush
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bulrush »

Higher temperature water holds less oxygen, perhaps that added to the lethargy of your shrimp.
Lotus
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Lotus »

I generally use the Jager heaters, too. I have had both Stealth and the titanium heaters fail on me. I tend to think it's a general problem with aquarium equipment these days... it's just not built to last.

I've had cherry shrimp in my outside pond in temperatures exceeding 90F. My indoor tanks often get to 87F in the summer, but the shrimp seem to survive, even if they don't breed as much.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I agree that cherry red shrimp are more tolerant of temperature extremes and other water parameters. However, I try my best to keep the environment stable. Thanks for the warning about problems with the heaters.