Sterilizing new plants

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

wendyjo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Sterilizing new plants

Post by wendyjo »

I am getting some java moss in the mail, and it's coming from a tank with snails. My tank is too small to handle snail bio load. What is a shrimp safe way to rid the plant of possible snails and eggs?
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

If you do a search you can find the info you need, this has been discussed before, hopefully this helps you.

viewtopic.php?t=1055&highlight=bleach

Ecir
wendyjo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by wendyjo »

I did do a search - perhaps I'm not using the correct keywords. The link you provided was appreciated but not really helpful, as it basically talked about trapping the snails that are in the tank and I am asking about a shrimp-safe way to disinfect new plants before they are added to the tank so I don't have a snail explosion later on. One person in that link mentioned the bleaching method, which I have tried in the past with a result of a dead plant but surviving pond snails.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Be carefull with the bleach trick. It is easy to end up with a bunch of dead plants and live snails.

When you get your javamoss, spread it out real well and just look for eggs. If you see some, pick them off. If you do a violent dip in cold water any live snails will drop off and sink to the bottom.
wendyjo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by wendyjo »

OK I will try the cold water thing. I already picked out 2 pond snails and an MTS - I tossed the MTS in the shrimp tank :)

Will soaking in salt do any good or hurt anything?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I don't know how salt tolerant java moss is. I know it can stand some, but I don't know how much. I don't think it would kill pond snails, they are tough. I know for sure it won't phase an MTS.

The best thing to do is your best without use of chemicals. If some make it, just squish them when you see them. The other critters in the tank will love the treat.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I don't think it would kill pond snails, they are tough. I know for sure it won't phase an MTS.

badflash, do you know if MTS can be kept in a brackish water environment such as a tank for Halocaridina ruba?
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Neonshrimp

Mustafa has stated,
That he has keep MTS in salt water.

John
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Yes, they can and I am doing just that. If you are going for half strength sea water, just plop them in. They will close up for 4-5 days, then they will be eating and reproducing. Right now I have so many I'm looking for something that likes salty snails.
wendyjo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by wendyjo »

RCS can't eat pond snails tho, can they? See, that's all there is in the tank so I don't really have anything to keep the population under control. I will look for eggs tho. I have heard nightmare stories of pond snails taking over a tank in no time flat. My tank is so small it wouldn't take long at all if one or two get in there.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thank you, I will be putting some MTS in tonight!
Last edited by Neonshrimp on Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Once the snails are squished the cherries will eat them up. They won't pick them off though.
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

wendyjo wrote:I did do a search - perhaps I'm not using the correct keywords. The link you provided was appreciated but not really helpful, as it basically talked about trapping the snails that are in the tank and I am asking about a shrimp-safe way to disinfect new plants before they are added to the tank so I don't have a snail explosion later on. One person in that link mentioned the bleaching method, which I have tried in the past with a result of a dead plant but surviving pond snails.
My appologies that it wasn't as usefull as it seemed but at least the thread picked up. I just recall the bit about bleaching from that thread and thought it might be usefull, I've never actually tested it though. I have pond snails in my tank but they haven't had any population explosions, I think of them as a self-producing squishable treat for my shrimp.

Ecir
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Pond snails grow in relations to how much food there is. If there is no extra food, there are no extra snails. If you feed properly, you won't have a lot.

If you see a bunch you can simply put an algae disc in a fish net & leave it in the tank or a few hours. Pickup the net & get a bunch of snails. Any shrimp can be put back.
wendyjo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by wendyjo »

Thanks for everyones help :)