Water Question Regarding Red Cherry Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Used
Egg
Egg

Water Question Regarding Red Cherry Shrimp

Post by Used »

I was wondering if Red Cherry shrimp will do well in my tap water. My tap water is very hard and has a pH of 8. The local fish store can order them for me so would they do well in my water? Also will they breed in this type of water?

Any help you could offer me would be appreciated. :)
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi Used, to get the more precise water parameters for these shrimp I would recomend that you look them up in the Shrimp Varieties section. Here is an exert from that page, "does best in soft to medium hard water with a ph in the alkaline range. Might not reproduce at all in water that is too acidic." Some members have had their cherry shrimp reproduce in both ends of the extremes but for best results I would go with the listed parameters. Best wishes and please keep us updated.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: Water Question Regarding Red Cherry Shrimp

Post by badflash »

Used wrote:My tap water is very hard and has a pH of 8. The local fish store can order them for me so would they do well in my water? Also will they breed in this type of water?
Yes, but they may not right away. I have a tank at 8.25 and they breed there, just a lot slower than in 7.6. My water is liquid rock, so hardness is not an issue. I suspect it is baby survival, not breeding that is the issue.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Water Question Regarding Red Cherry Shrimp

Post by zapisto »

badflash wrote:
Used wrote:My tap water is very hard and has a pH of 8. The local fish store can order them for me so would they do well in my water? Also will they breed in this type of water?
Yes, but they may not right away. I have a tank at 8.25 and they breed there, just a lot slower than in 7.6. My water is liquid rock, so hardness is not an issue. I suspect it is baby survival, not breeding that is the issue.
agree
i do see lot of shrimplet but they dont seem to survive well in water with PH>8
just my observation , nothing more.
FISH WORLD ERIE
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by FISH WORLD ERIE »

Mine breed great at a ph of 7.6. The bigger the tank the more cherrys I get. You can probably set up 2 tanks to try them out. 1 at your regular ph and one softened down with oak leaves or peat moss. See which setup works best. Good luck with them.

Jason