YuccaPatrol - can you verify these are Magnolia leaves?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

wendyjo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by wendyjo »

Too late - they are already in the tank (unboiled).
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

zwergkrebszuechter wrote:You should boil all leaves before adding to a tank. There are pretty nasty things you can bring to your tank with leaves. Like planaria, hydra and so on.
Those do not always require water, but can live in a permanently humid leave layer on the ground of a forest, too.
I would not really worry about it. I always get the oldest leaves that have been on the ground for months. I soak them for a few days so they sink to the bottom of the container. That's when I put them into my tanks. I have *never* had anything unwanted enter my tanks. Unless you get your leaves directly out of a river/creek or from right next to it, then there won't be any planaria or hydra on them. The only things I've seen after introducing leaves were copepods...and I'm not even sure if they came with the leaves or if they just reproduced more once the leaves were introduced (more food). So, I would not worry about boiling anything. As long as you soak them for a few days, everything will be fine. I've been doing it for years without any problems after all.
paintworx
Larva
Larva

scrub oak leaves

Post by paintworx »

Are Scrub Oak leaves considered the same as Oak leaves? Would they be safe to use in my shrimp tanks?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: scrub oak leaves

Post by Mustafa »

paintworx wrote:Are Scrub Oak leaves considered the same as Oak leaves? Would they be safe to use in my shrimp tanks?
Yes, they should be fine as long as you use dry, brown leaves. Scrub Oak is also a Quercus species, occuring in drier areas of North America. The "normal" oaks we are using are all Quercus species, too.
paintworx
Larva
Larva

Post by paintworx »

Thanks! I live in the Rocky Mountains, and Scrub Oak is everwhere- however, regular oak trees are harder to come by. I will want to go out and collect before the snow hits!
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Sounds like an interesting place to collect leaves. Best wishes with the leaves and please keep us updated on how it works out.
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

I have Pin Oak and Bur Oak where I live.

-John (AKA: The Puffer Ninja)
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Terran »

zwergkrebszuechter wrote:You should boil all leaves before adding to a tank. There are pretty nasty things you can bring to your tank with leaves. Like planaria, hydra and so on.
Those do not always require water, but can live in a permanently humid leave layer on the ground of a forest, too.
Doh!.....To late for me on this one...Ive never had a hydra infestation before...but now I got tons of them in one of my tanks...and probally all the ones I added oak leaves to....

I kindof like the hydras(cause theirs tons of little copapods and worms all in my tanks) and I just like the idea of predation occuring in the tank....if only they didnt kill my shrimplets....I have the variety of hydras that are green....

I imagine something like this ...they are very small....I only noticed them today because I was using a magnifying glass...
Now I gotta figure out a good way to get rid of them...I have red ramshorns....but I dont really want to do much more than that.... :-D
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I have the opinion that there are more "good" micro-organisms living on collected leaves than "bad" ones. No boiling for me.

I've had hydra in a few of my fish tanks in the past. Each time, it has been temporary and they have gone away all on their own.

My favorite leaves I am using right now are ones that were collected underneath the water in a swamp. They are particularly attractive because the swamp water has turned them black. Shrimp look great while feeding on them.
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Terran »

Hmm....well I guess Ill add some Red Ramshorn to the tank and hope they protect my upcoming shrimplets....

Its not like I dont have shrimp in my other tanks so Im not in danger of losing my population...its just I had moved all my brighter red ones in there to breed....
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

YuccaPatrol, I would like to try black leaves too now that you have desrcribed the contrast they provide with shrimp :o

I have also heard that the red ramshorn snails work in ridding tanks of hydra. Please let me know if this works for you.

Thanks.
JK
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JK »

I have lots of outdoor ponds here which are full of decaying oak leaves from the surrounding trees. There must be 10 years worth in some of my ponds.

Deep down they become rather putrid and anaerobic, I was wondering if these would be suitable for shrimp tanks.
I think they would have to be at least dipped into boiling water to remove unwanted critters, snail eggs etc.

Any thoughts?
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Most of the "critters" these decaying oak leaves are what you want to have to feed the shrimp. If you see unwanted things like snail eggs, hydra or dragon fly larvae then just wash them off. I do think you should still soak and rinse the leaves in some water just in case there are unwanted thing you miss.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I strongly advise against introducing anything from an outside pond. It is far too easy to introduce something to your tank that you really don't want and may find it impossible to get rid of without breaking down your tank.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for the correction badflash. I would take his advice as he has had more experience in this matter :wink: