New cray or shrimp bad picture

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Veneer
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Veneer »

FISH WORLD ERIE wrote:My thinking was shrimp also. Due to rounded fuzzy claw and legs. I will get more info monday. The mountain info made me think strictly fresh also.
To second Mustafa:
The tenacity of these shrimp is legendary. One story tells of a flabbergasted air-conditioner serviceman who found some tiny mountain shrimp on the roof of a building in downtown Honolulu. Apparently, the baby 'opae had come up a nearby stream, gone through a storm drain, made their way up the building's five-story drainpipe and ended up in an air-conditioner drip pan.
http://www.susanscott.net/OceanWatch2000/dec18-00.html
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

the LFS here in town actually just brought in a group of 3 Electric Blue Lobsters, and although they do look like the picture posted the color is much more impressive in person, various shades of metallic blue, awsome looking.

Ecir
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Ecir wrote:the LFS here in town actually just brought in a group of 3 Electric Blue Lobsters, and although they do look like the picture posted the color is much more impressive in person, various shades of metallic blue, awsome looking.

Ecir
Your electric blue "lobsters" are most likely Procambarus alleni, a crayfish. Totally different animal. These macro on the pic is very unlikely to show up in a local fish store.
wklotz
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by wklotz »

Hi shrimplovers!
I'm pretty sure it's what has been tentatively identified as Macrobrachium hancocki by our forum member Werner Klotz.
Yepp, Mustafa is all right here. The shrimp on Jason´s picture is Macrobrachium hancocki. This species comes from rivers on the Pacific coast of Middle Amercia between Columbia and Costa Rica. You also can find this shrimp on some islands near this coast.

A better photo from our homepage:

The nearest relative to this speciec from the Atlantic coast of Middle America is Macrobrachium crenulatum:

Booth species, like all members of the olfersii scpecies group requires salt water for larval development.

Cheers
Werner
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thank you for clearifying the information and for the nice pictures :D I am starting to see the characteristics that make them a shrimp and not a cray/lobster :wink:
lampeye
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by lampeye »

Slightly OT, but has anyone seen suppliers listing any of those odd, dorsoventrally flattened crayfish (I think that's what they are) from South America? I've seen photos here and there, but I was wondering if they've been appearing on importers' lists.
Veneer
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Veneer »

lampeye wrote:Slightly OT, but has anyone seen suppliers listing any of those odd, dorsoventrally flattened crayfish (I think that's what they are) from South America? I've seen photos here and there, but I was wondering if they've been appearing on importers' lists.
Those are probably Aegla spp., which are neither crayfish nor crabs, but rather Anomurans - kin to squat lobsters, hermit "crabs", and king "crabs". As far as I know, no true crayfish have been exported from South America on a commercial scale.
FISH WORLD ERIE
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by FISH WORLD ERIE »

Back to topic. The importer could not tell me anything. He said he got it in by accident. And gave it a name. But your picture hit the nail on the head. I asked him to describe it to me and it was like he described your great pic. I will not be getting any.

Thanks for everyones help.

Jason
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

So how big do these bad boys get? I'll bet the fry could be raised just like M. rosenbergii. They must be super agressive with hardware like that.
FISH WORLD ERIE
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by FISH WORLD ERIE »

I have no idea.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

They can get to be about 3-4 inches. I actually have a Macrobrachium crenulatum right now and although they behave in normal Macrobrachium manner, they are nowhere near as aggressive as M. rosenbergii or M. carcinus. I also have a Macrobrachium carcinus (the "other" giant shrimp) and it's the most aggressive shrimp I have ever seen. I keep it by itself.

As for size of "hardware", that can be deceiving. My fuzzy claws have huge claws compared to their sizes but they are some of the most social/tolerant macros out there.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

If I keep hanging around this forum nuch more, I'll be getting rid of my fish to free up tanks for new shrimp :!: :lol:
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

There is no need for that, you can just by another 10 gallon tank. There is always room for one more :lol:
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

That's just it, I don't have room for any more tanks. Already have 2 55's, a 38, the recently set up 30 long, a 29, and a 10. There's still an empty 30, waiting for the basement work to be finished. Most of the tanks upstairs will be moved down after it's done. I wasn't planning on setting up the 30 long yet, now the living room is a bit crowded. :roll: :lol:
cro117
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by cro117 »

Mustafa wrote:
Ecir wrote:the LFS here in town actually just brought in a group of 3 Electric Blue Lobsters, and although they do look like the picture posted the color is much more impressive in person, various shades of metallic blue, awsome looking.

Ecir
Your electric blue "lobsters" are most likely Procambarus alleni, a crayfish. Totally different animal. These macro on the pic is very unlikely to show up in a local fish store.
We actually have a few pairs at the store that I work at, so it's possible that they are available at other LFS as well. though, according to our whole-seller we are one of the very few. For the integrity of the forum I will not give the store name.

We had a costumer who bought a pair, and I would like to give him some info on them if I can. if I can some feedback that would be great.

They grow about 4 inchs?

They may be on the aggressive side, but are probably fine with large, fast moving, fish like a giant danios?

He adds the recommended dosage on the container of salt for "stress reduction" for a 100 gal, but he has a 240 gal. should he add more or is that enough for the adults?

I'm not sure what to tell him about breeding. I have never raised shrimp that need to be transferred to salt water to grow. How do you do this? Do you transfer the female while she is holding the eggs? How does acclimation work? Do you use a drip method or are they not overly sensitive to salinity changes? And should the level be .023 like a typical salt water, or would a little lower, say .018, be recommended?

Lastly, are the larva overly sensitive, like I have heard ghost can be. Some say that they can die from hitting the glass wall of a tank.